COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to go for tea in London with children?

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:19 PM
Cindy

We would like to experience a real London teatime, but are wondering where children might be welcome. The Orangery near Kensington Gardens looks good -- would children be welcome there? Other suggestions?

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:33 PM
carolyn

Yes, you may take children to the Orangery. When we were there last fall, there were a couple of what appeared to be local mummies with little ones who were not behaving very well at all. It is a big, high-ceilinged place and little voices become very loud when the kids put their minds to it. No one gave them a second glance.

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:37 PM
alurie

Our kids loved having tea at Fortnum & Mason's and when they got bored, we could walk thru the store and enjoy the fabulous displays...

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:05 PM
Leslie

I second the recommendation for tea at Fortnum and Mason's...the St. James' Restaurant on the top floor. It's formal enough to experience an elegant tea, yet not so over-the-top as the Ritz or Brown's Hotel. Our children did just fine there at ages 9 and 11, and there were other children as well. If this is too fancy, there is a slightly less formal restaurant on the ground floor.

My only hesitation about the Orangerie is that it can be a long walk to get to it as it's in the midst of Hyde Park. If you do plan to tour Kensington Palace, however, you'll be right there. I just found the decor to be very austere and unappealing.

Another possibility is afternoon tea at Harrods. It's been recommended by many on the board here and you'll definitely want to take the kids to see the food halls in Harrods anyway.

Note: our waitress very kindly suggested we order only 3 tea services for the four of us since kids don't eat that much, and we still couldn't finish it all!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 06:16 AM
Cindy

Thank you so much! This is really helpful. I was thinking that the kids would enjoy the Peter Pan playground in Kensington Gardens so that we might be near the Orangery. But will look into the other suggestions as well!