where to go Aug 25 to sept 7

Jul 28th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

where to go Aug 25 to sept 7

Ok I have narrowed it down to I am from Canada and I do not want to stay in Edinburgh for more than a couple days due to the poor weather. I hate the tourist crap (even the mall) and will forfeit the historical attractions to not deal with the crowds. I read about Cisterino or Rinin. But I am completely unfamiliar with Spain. Any suggestions about where me and my sis can go. thanks mimi
Jul 28th, 2007, 04:28 AM

The kids are still away on holiday then so expect crowds in most places. Monday 27th should be a bank holiday in the UK so very busy with some places shut.

Where you go depends on what you want. Things get quieter and more civilised once you get out of Edinburgh and head northwards. It is a comfortable drive up to John O'Groats (northern most point of UK), stopping off at places on the way there and on the way back.

Spain like the rest of Europe will be VERY busy then.
Jul 28th, 2007, 04:47 AM

"I do not want to stay in Edinburgh for more than a couple days due to the poor weather" Do you have a crystal ball that tells you what the weather will be a month from now??

Could be absolutely lovely - or not. But that is true anywhere in Europe.

I can maybe see getting out of Edinburgh because of the crowds from all the festivals/ etc. But I would head north and the crowds will basically disappear.
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:27 AM

August is undoubtedly the busiest month in Edinburgh and you may find trouble getting accommodation there through the festivals on then :

http://www.edinburghguide.com/festival/fest_info.shtml
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

My sis is actually performing in the festival and she has a place to stay. I do not have a crystal ball but would like to be in a bit warmer climate then potentially forcasted that is why I thought Italy or Spain. I have been all over France and Belgium and N countries, never further S than the cote d'azur though. Any other words of direction?

Ttfn M
Jul 28th, 2007, 06:43 AM

I personally would avoid most parts of Italy and Spain in late August/early sept. The weather (since we "know" what will happen next month) will likely be unbearably hot.
Jul 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow have flights for either Ryanair, Bmibaby and Eaysjet these are all know for their cheap flights. Your only young once , yes it is a UK bank holiday not Scotland) and it might be crowed or you might not get the flights out on the exact days you want, but do not let that put you off. Take a look at what flights are going out and just go for it. You have a 14 day window so you should be able to get something.