Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to go....Amsterdan, Prague a bit too "party like"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I traveled to Paris, Barcelona and Switzerland in 2002...Ireland in 2003...and Rome/Venice in 2004. We loved each trip. 2005 is now upon us, and we are trying to finalize where to go in September of this year. My wife and I are both just shy of 50 and particularly loved Rome and Venice. Now comes the question....

Both Prague and Amsterdam are on our short list of place we would love to visit. However, I get the distinct impression that each of those cities might be "party oriented" and a bit too "fraternity like". Does this make any sense? Can those of you who have traveled to these cities let me know your thoughts?

I would also appreciate any comments about what other cities to combine with a trip to either of these. We generally only spend nine nights in Europe, and have pretty much learned to only go to two different areas for that length of time. I am open to all suggestions from members of this forum, whose advice over the past three years has been invaluable.

Thanks very much -

Dave Zemens
Rochester, Michigan
[email protected]

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No, I did not find Amsterdam party like or fraternity like at all. I am sure you could find that if you looked in the right places, but it clearly is *not* the atmosphere of the entire city.

I absolutely adore Venice and Paris as well as the places I've stayed in Switzerland. And am hoping to visit Barcelona (so maybe we have similar tastes).

I am not a big fan of Amsterdam but not for the reasons you mentioned above.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Suze. I gotta ask - why aren't you a big fan of Amsterdam?
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM

We're in our 50's and really like Amsterdam... I think there is a 'feeling' about an 'element' that colors one's perception of Amsterdam, in that its reputation does seem to attract certain kinds of people. I don't get the same feeling when in Paris, for instance.

However, it is an attractive city with charming architecture and great museums. We enoy renting bikes or just walking a lot, and the canal tours are fun as well. I would visit the Dam Square area and Red Light District, but would then center my attention and strolls elsewhere.

You will enjoy it more if you don't limit your stay to Amsterdam only...get on the train and visit some of the smaller towns (Delft, Utrecht, Haarlem, etc) and go out to Zuiderzee outdoor museum in Enkhuizen (about an hour away).

The culture and architecture are distinctly different than any of the other places you've been.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Re: Amsterdam
I think the impression you might be getting is from the groups (usually all-male) from the U.K. coming over for a weekend of drinking, watching sports on the big screen in bars, partaking of the Red Light District and the smoke shops, etc. These guys can be a real drag if you run into them on the street.

Myself, I found Amsterdam to be suprisingly quiet away from downtown. I spent a lot of evenings having dinner, going to cafes and movies, that kind of thing. I especially loved walking in the evenings along the canals - very late at night sometimes, because it felt safe.

I thought the combination of Paris and Amsterdam made for a very satisfying trip. They're only 3 hours apart on the fast train, but what a difference! Paris always exhausts me (in a good way). I remember getting off the train at the Gare du Nord and getting into a taxi whose driver just about immediately got into an altercation (screaming, gesticulating, with great gusto) with a bicyclist. I sank down in the back seat and remembered, fondly, the rather stolid drivers in A'dam with their white shirts and ties. It was a contrast.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:00 PM

I have been to both cities within the past two years and loved them both. I did not find either of them "party" like. Of course if you go to the touristy areas with lots of outside cafes, in the evening, you will certainly find people drinking and having a good time. I think that is definitly the way it is in all the other places you went and said you liked.

So definitly go to one or both of them. I spent five days in Prague, with one day trip to Cesky K. and found that a good amount of time. I only spent three days in Amsterdam and didn't think that was enough. Try www.whichbudget.com to see if there are cheap flights between the two cities, then you could split your time between them. Given how easy intra-European flights are, it no logner makes sense to confine oneself to visiting only a geographically related area. The train between two areas in one country can cost more and take more time than flying a much greater distance.

However, if you don't want to to do both, perhaps Amsterdam could be combined with Brugge, Belgium - or one or more of several small cities in the Belgium/Holland area.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I can't speak to the issue about Prague because it is still on my to-do list but we enjoyed Amsterdam and we are a bit older that your are. sure you can stroll through the red light district or stop in at one of the "brown" cafes but you can also enjoy the Reichs Museum the Van Gogh museum, Anne Franks house and a whole lot more. As Travelnut said, there is also a lot more to the Netherlands than Amsterdam.

On top of that Amsterdam is a good stop for your two-stop vacation with Paris or Germany. You can train to the Rhine/Mosel areas then pick up a car a go to Rothemburg, Munich and the castles of Bavaria.

Or you can train from Amsterdam to Paris even though you have been there before and with an open jaw ticket you can fly back from wherever you end up.

Either way you can count on a great trip
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:20 PM
ira

Dear Dave,

You don't have to go to coffee shops or the red light district in Amsterdam.

You don't have to hang out with the drunken louts in Prague.

Go. Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM

It found it a bit dark and gray in architecture and atmosphere. I found the local people quite reserved. I can see why many people love it, because it is beautiful and rich in many ways. Generally I guess I am happier and feel more welcome in sunny more southern cities.

I would visit again, don't get me wrong. But for me it just isn't "true love" like I feel in and for Paris or Venice.

My private theory is that people fall for cities like they fall for other people, for reasons felt deep in their hearts, not necessarily logical, and hard to explain to others.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:25 PM

small point of interest... brown cafes and coffeeshops are not the same thing.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:59 PM

You are asking the right question.

Some will say "True but it doesn't matter". Others will say "True and it spoiled my trip"

The former will tell you you MUST go to A'dam -- or Prague -- or both.

IMO: both are worth a visit, Prague the more so.

Prague is the more visually striking place, though A'dam has greater art treasures.

Yes, the Prague party culture is evident always and almost everywhere.

You must decide how much that matters.

I'm glad I went to Prague but the tackiness of some of my fellow visitors did take the edge off the experience.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:04 PM

They are both great cities. There are all-male groups intent on doing all the usual stuff, but they are easy to avoid. Both places have wonderful just-out-of centre areas.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:52 PM

I was in Prague for 5 nights this past February and absolutely loved it. I think it's so beautiful. It definitely is touristy, but I still enjoyed it very much. I'm sure it isn't as bad as Rome as far as tourists go. You would love to walk across the Charles Bridge and visit the Old Town Square at night and take in the view from one of the restaurants. Another thing that would be amazing is to catch a performance at the National Theatre- it's absolutely stunning inside. One thing that is nice is that the exchange rate is really good for the dollar. I don't think you should let yourself be deterred by any "party" stereotypes b/c it really just depends on what activities you chose. It's a great city.

I've never been to Amsterdam but if the city's legalization of drugs and prostitution worries you, I would definitely look into Brugges, Belgium. I personally haven't been there, but it is a canaled city just like Amsterdam and Venice. I've always wanted to go there, and maybe you would be interested in checking it out.

London is also a great city if you like theatre and world class museums. The only bad point is the horrible exchange rate. There is so much to do there and plus they speak english- always a plus! The British Museum is amazing! Nice place.

Good luck in deciding where to go. I envy you!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:02 PM

There are certainly places in each city - as there are in any large city - that are party like - resembling nothing so much as a fraternity kegger. But as in all cities those areas are small and can easily be avoided - if they make you uncomfortable.

Both cities have wonderful sights - and sites - to offer - and neither should be avoided on that basis. Prague is one of my absolute favorite places - esp for it's incredibly vital music scene (including opera and classical) - and for having an incredibly preserved midieval/renaissance center - and Amsterdam;s major museums are a must do for anyone.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:16 PM

I went to Amsterdam with my mother in law and niece, and then with my niece and daughter. I didn't like it. Then I went with my husband and fell totally in love. We stayed near the Anne Frankhaus. Certainly the red light district is seedy - but it is also a small part of a wonderful city. We loved the area where we stayed. I went to Prague with my niece and daughter. It was the last stop of a 1 month trip. I didn't like it - way too touristy... and I always felt like people were trying to overcharge me (anything remotely near the tourist areas is expensive). But I do plan to return with my husband... and who knows what could happen. I certainly did'nt see an over the top party element - and the architecture is beautiful.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:19 PM

I will be going to Amsterdam next July. It is not anything that I ever thought of doing. My dream is actually to someday get myself to Italy.

However, a group that I sing with is going to tour through The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. I am not going to miss the opportunity to go, even though it will be a whirlwind trip.

I never thought that I would be interested in going there but, I started to read about it and talk to people. Being very niave and uninformed about Amsterdam, people would ask me if I was going to go for all the "wrong" reasons. The more people spoke to me about it, I started to change my mind a little.

I had it in my head that I would be seeing Europe and some great history and architechture. Red light districs and coffee houses are just not my thing. Even my dad asked me if that is why I was going, but he wasn't suprised when I told him that when I decided to go I knew nothing about that side of Amsterdam. SOmetimes he wonders how I made it to 37, I think.

So, I can definitely understand why you are asking your question.

I then realized that first of all I am going with a group of much older people. I will probably be the youngest at 37 years old! I cannot see these people going anywhere that I would not feel comfortable.

Secondly, most of my trip is planned and arranged for me. I will be doing friendship concerts in the evening and we have a tour guide for the day.

After mulling all of this over in my own head I have come to the conclusion that you can go there and keep yourself away from the elements that you are uncomfortable about.

The more that I read about the cities that I am going to, the more excited I am .

Hey, after all where ever you live there are places with a serious party element and can be a bit too "fraternity like".

I also like your idea of only going to two different places. I never seem to have relaxing vacations. I will have to change that sometime.

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

What great replies, thanks very much to all the tips so far.

I am open to any suggestions about TWO areas to visit. I really wasn't planning on making Amsterdam and Prague the same trip, but was looking for a natural second city or area to visit with either one of those!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I've never been to Brugges... but if I returned to Amsterdam, I would partner Brugges with it. Or if I went to Prague, I'd partner it with Dresden/Berlin.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:00 PM

If you are considering pairing another city with Prague, maybe with Prague you could do Vienna or Budapest... or even Salzburg. Cesky Krumlov would be nice, too.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:58 PM
MaureenB

We recently visited Paris and Amsterdam. If you click on my name above you will find my trip report of London-Paris-Amsterdam, with specific recommendations for hotels and restaurants in each city.

We were surprised by how much we loved Amsterdam. It is charming and trendy at the same time. Definitely not a party atmosphere when we were there, and we weren't interested in the Red Light district. We walked the canals at all hours and felt safe. It is wonderful there. There is a young and vibrant feeling to the city.

We thought pairing Paris and Amsterdam worked out really well for us. We took the Thalys train from Paris to Amsterdam, in about 4.5- 5 hours time.

Last June we visited Prague and also liked it very much. Didn't feel it was a party scene at all, either. Maybe we're just oblivious to all that.

Of the two, I personally liked Amsterdam better. Just IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -