Where to go alone, 4-5 days in june?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:27 AM
Gissell

Where to go alone, 4-5 days in june?

Hi!
I'm planning a short vacation on june... for about 5 days. I'm travelling alone (woman-26) and would like to go to a quiet place, or somewhere I'd be able to enjoy my solitude... take walks, read, etc. I've already been to Paris, London, Rome, Venice and Florece... It'll be better if it's new to me... Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:49 AM
Christina

I suppose I'd say if you just want solitude and walking and reading, about any rural area will do, just stay out of big cities. However, I have enjoyed rural areas of Provence, Lake District of England, and Scotland outside main cities, of course.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:51 AM
John G

Bologna, Barcelona, Trieste, Krakow, Dubrovnik, Salzburg, and Alsace are all places for you to relax and enjoy your solitude by reading and walking about.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:18 PM
elvira

Naxos; Malta (Gozo if you want real solitude); Cefalu, Sicily; Chefchouan, Morocco. Any of those will be very different from the cities you've already visited.

Or, go to Paris, stay in an apartment far away from the tourists (11/12eme, 17eme, 19eme), search out places (like the George Brassens Park) that are never visited by tourists and enjoy the city as a Parisian (I bet you could do the same in any of the cities you've mentioned).

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:26 PM
Wayne

Gissell--
I've been to every place mentioned in the previous replies, but my choice for a nice, easy, quiet vacation would be one of the many little towns in the Dordogne or Lot valleys. You can even walk from one town to the next in many cases. If you would like some specific recommendations of a few towns, let me know. Hope you enjoy your trip; it's the kind of thing I like to do.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:35 PM
Santa Chiara

What great recommendations. Wayne, can you be more specific?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:07 PM
Gissell

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!
Wayne, I would really appreciate some specific recommendations on towns. I can't remember where are these regions... is it Bourgogne and Loire Valley in France? ... do you think I'll have problems with the language?... My main language is spanish, I know english and a some italian... but almost none french.
Thanks again!

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:46 PM
xxx

Edinburgh for a city and the Pyrenees for a country place

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:32 PM
Grasshopper

Gissell,

How about one of the Italian lakes? I'd recommend Bellagio (at Como) or Sirmione (at Garda) or Stressa (at Maggiore). Bellagio would be the quietest.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:50 PM
t

Edinburgh is a good city to walk around and enjoy by foot. Small enough that you don't need a car, but still plenty to see and do in the city. Plus it's a safe place for a single woman.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:13 PM
Linda

Krakow/Zakopane is a great 2-city vacation spot. Dresden is another, easy walking plus fairly quiet. I think you could go to Interlaken (Grindlewald, Lauterbrennan) and find some solitude. Koblenz is a very nice area of Germany with great wine, also Hamelin is nice.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:15 PM
Julie

Bellagio or Menaggio on Lake Como would be perfect. Take train and then Lake steamer from Milan to Como and Como to Menaggio or train to Varenna also on Lake Como then lake steamer to Menaggio or Bellagio. Rent the video of a Month at the Lake or somesuch. You'll be enchanted. Other possibilities, Vienna, Lucerne.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 06:18 PM
Wayne

Gissell--
The Dordogne and Lot rivers lie to the east and south of Bordeaux, in an area of France that most Americans don't know about. Lots of Brits and Europeans come to the area, but it still seems extremely tranquil. The many villages are leftovers from centuries ago, and when you are there you feel as if you are transported back in time. Get up early in any of these places, have a cup of coffee at the local cafe', and you'll be absolutely contented. This area is known as the Perigord, or Aquitaine. My favorite villages around the Dordogne are Brantome, Martel, Montfort, La Roque-Gageac, Beynac-et-Cazenac, Limeuil, Tremolat, and Rocamadour. Around the Lot, I like St-Cirq-la-Popie, Caillac, Luzech, and Puy-l'Eveque. And there are a zillion other of these kinds of fascinating little towns, many of them so close together that you can make a nice walk from one to another; better still, a good bike ride. If you go, pick one you like (my absolute favorite is St-Cirq-la-Popie) and stay in a little hotel for the whole time, then rent a bike and ride around the area. If you rent a car, you can obviously explore farther. You'll love it if you love charm, tranquility, and just plain simplicity that takes you back a hundred years. I think life around there hasn't changed much in that time. I can make some good hotel recommendations in most of these towns if you'd like. Best regards. (By the way, I started this message earlier, and something happened to it and it disappeared.) If a similar message appears as a posting, I apologize.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Gissell

Thanks again for all your great suggestions... I really appreciate it!
Wayne, about hotel recommendations...of course I like to hear that, I've been searching for pictures about this places you've told me and they are really beautiful! ... so, feel free to recommend, either by e-mail or posting your reply. Thanks!

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Wayne

Gissell---
I've sent you an e-mail with recommendations on some hotels in some of my favorite towns in the Dordogne/Lot area of France. One thing needs correcting: the proper web site address for Logis de France is as follows: www.logis-de-france.com. (I had forgotten to put the hyphens in.) If I can help some more, let me know.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Gissell

THANKS!

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 10:59 AM
bettk

I have to recommend Vienna. It is a beautiful city and safer than most large cities in Europe. The people are very friendly and the food is fabulous. You can sit outside in a nice cafe on the Ringstrasse or visit the museums, palaces, and churches. You can relax in one of the many lovely parks or you can take the tram out to Nussdorf and go a long hike into the vineyards above the city. The weather should be fabulous in June also.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 10:59 AM
bettyk

I have to recommend Vienna. It is a beautiful city and safer than most large cities in Europe. The people are very friendly and the food is fabulous. You can sit outside in a nice cafe on the Ringstrasse or visit the museums, palaces, and churches. You can relax in one of the many lovely parks or you can take the tram out to Nussdorf and go a long hike into the vineyards above the city. The weather should be fabulous in June also.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 11:29 AM
rita

Gissell,

I concure with Wayne. Go to the Dordogne Valley. I was just there (on my own) last September and it was glorious. Great food, the locals were nice and the scenery is spectacular. travelling alone opens you up to all sorts of possibilities and experiences. On this trip I found myself "locked" in the courtyard of Beynac Castle. Not a soul to be seen, it has become one of my lasting vacation experiences.

I travelled alone on a Randonnee Tours trip that they designed especially for me. They are a self-guided company so NO GROUP! I stayed in Le Roque Gageac at wonderful hotels and had a bike. Within 30kms were five different medieval castles and towns that I biked back and forth to using their route descriptions (they also offer walking) on different days. Anyway, what I wanted to say was -- Randonnee was great and if you are looking to go on your own but wouldn't mind a "wee bit" of back up (like I did) then you should check out their offerings.

the website is www.randonneetours.com

or you can email me if you have more questions

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 09:26 PM
gary

Vienna for a large city. Normandy for something more rural. I have not been to Dordogne but it sounds good too.