Where to go after Greece trip?

Old Jul 9th, 2024, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go after Greece trip?

Hey everyone,

I would love advice on which country to go to after two weeks in Greece with family. We will be in Santorini for 5 days attending a wedding and then on to Naxos for another 5 days and will probably do a few ferry day trips to other islands. Now I have one of two scenarios that I need help with:

1). My husband is recovering from knee replacement surgery and his mobility is impaired. Where would you suggest we go for a beach resort break for a week or so after our family trip. I know we could go to another Greek island but I'm thinking about another country that isn't too challenging to get to from Santorini.

2). Hubby is also saying he may not go on the trip at all in which case I'll be traveling solo after my family departs and I am up to going anywhere in Europe that is safe for a 61 year old woman. I am looking to experience the culture of a country where I can interact with friendly locals, admire the scenery, explore alleyways, plazas, eat great food and relax in a nice hotel.

I thank you all in advance and am looking forward to reading all the suggestions!
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 05:53 PM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to Fodors. Your thread has been moved to the Europe Forum.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 06:14 PM
kja

Nafplio. And do consider making time for Athens!
Consider looking at a good guidebook, I thought the Rough Guide the best of those I consulted.
If you haven't seen it, you might check my trip report: With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 11:26 PM

After having stayed in the overtouristy spots of Santorini and Naxos, you will have seen nothing of Greece.
So, Athens would be a good idea.
Or take a ferry to Crete or Rhodos.
If it must be another country, Santorini has directr flights to almost all European capitals.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 04:22 AM

Another vote for Nafplio. Its beaches are pebbly but the atmosphere is exactly what you want. The archeological sites of Epidauros and ancient Nemea would be within your husband’s ability in all likelihood, Mycenae and Nafplio’s fortress more challenging. Have just had a TKR myself and would advise minimizing flights with a lot of sitting. I toured Santorini, Athens and the Peloponnese while bone-on-bone a few years ago. It can be done. However, I could not advise the heat of Athens in August, so, when is this trip?
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

It would be early September for 7-10 days
Old Jul 14th, 2024, 11:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Early to mid October would be even better.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jul 14th, 2024 at 11:14 AM.