Where to go after Athens

Search

Where to go after Athens

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go after Athens

My husband and I are doing a trip on the Dalmatian coast in October and are flying to Athens to spend an additional 8 days before flying home. First let me say it's no easy task getting from Dubrovnik to Athens - we have to fly back to Munich then into Athens. I also know it might not have been the best choice for round 2 of our trip but flights are booked so we want to get the best of Greece in the short amount of time we have.

We arrive in Athens at 11:10 pm on October 22nd. We want to fly to Santorini the next morning for a couple of nights then either Mykonos or Naxos before returning to Athens on the morning of the 29th. We haven't read too many great things about Athens - that we could see most of it in 2 days. We fly out of Athens first thing in the morning on October 31st.

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM

There are no direct connections between Santorini and Mykonos in late October, so you would have to go back through Athens. There is a daily ferry between Santorini and Naxos which runs year-round, making it a better choice. Late October on Naxos will be very quiet, with only the few hotels and restaurants open that cater for locals through the winter. You may be lucky and have a day warm enough for sunbathing on the beach.

Don't believe everything you read about Athens. The historic center is beautiful, and has more archaeological sites and museums than you could possibly visit in two days. Late October would be an ideal time to visit Athens. Stay on the mainland and you could also visit Delphi and the Peloponnese.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 10:17 AM

You don't necessarily have to go to the islands to enjoy Greece, especially at that time off year. There's tons to do in Athens, the mainland and on the Peloponnese.

Here's a 12-page report w/ pics on how we spent 9 nights, on the opposite side of calendar (i.e. March instead of October)...

http://www.onelittleworld.com/greece_1.html
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM

I really do not like to be negative but the vote was 6-0 in our group that arrival day plus two others would have been enough for Athens (we had a third full day as well). Clearly a personal preference though.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. We really want to visit Santorini so I think we'll spend a couple of nights there and then the rest of our time in Athens and will visit Peloponnese. Any hotel recommendations for any of these locations? I've heard that Oia on Santorini is a beautiful spot. Not sure about Athens - would anyone recommend staying near the Plaka? We're not major partiers (in our 50's) but we enjoy great wine, great food and people watching when we're not exploring. Regarding visiting Peloponnese - is that something we could do on a couple of day trips from Athens if we had a car?
Thanks
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM

A couple of nights on Santorini would be good - fly straight there upon arrival in Greece if you can. For the Peloponnese it would probably be best to take a car, but base yourself in Nafplion for a couple of nights. You could rent a car at the airport and drive straight there when you return from Santorini. That would leave you the rest of the time for Athens at the end of the trip.

For hotels in Athens, I prefer something near Syntagma Sq or Monastiraki, but will leave it for someone else to make a specific recommendation.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM

Looking back at your OP, I see you are arriving in Athens around 11 pm, and want to fly out to Santorini the next morning. For that first night, if you don't mind the expense, recommend staying at the airport Sofitel. I've stayed there twice myself, and love being only 5 minutes walk from hotel to airline check-in counters. You'll get to bed earlier that night, and can stay in bed a little longer the next morning.
http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-3167...rt/index.shtml
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM

I stay in Athens about 10 times a year (& I haven't seen everything yet!), so if you provide a budget spread for a double/twin room per night suggestions could be made. If you are searching already look, for Plaka, Syntagma, Monastiraki, Makrigianni & Koukaki areas, but check any specific hotels first on here, as some of them say they are in one of these areas when in fact they are nearer to Omonia, which is not the best choice for 1st impressions.
I would also second the suggestion of going to the Peloponnese, a huge area with lots to see, if it's just 2 nigyhts/days, then Nafplion is best, you would need longer to explore further afield.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:18 PM

I am with you Yiassas..been going my whole life, never ceases to amaze me how there is always something new, or always been there, but I never knew it! Sounion is a great drive in Attica. Don't overlook the Saronic Gulf Islands, ie Hydra..they are "commutable" from Athens for a day or a great night or two. Have fun!
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. We're really excited but I think we'll need a second trip or third trip to Greece. Also really looking forward to the Dalmation Coast so will report back on that adventure.
Sandy
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:24 AM

Only a second or third trip? Watch out, or you might become addicted to Greece like most of us who have replied to this thread.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

So many places to go - will keep watering the money tree and hope it grows. Thanks for all your ideas.