I am looking for ideas on where to go in Europe first/second week in August. Yes, I know its late, but unfortunately work schedule dictates it!
I rarely travel in August, as I can’t stand heat – I am melting here in London right now in temperatures of 30 degrees, which is pretty well as hot as I can take it. Therefore, I need to stick to the northern region.
I would welcome your advice on some of my initial thoughts. My primary interests are art and architecture, which dictates a city, but might also consider a week at a cooking school or something like that. I am not a beach-holiday person – I need lots of activity. I might hire a car, but am more inclined to base myself in one location and take day-trips by public transportation.
Some initial thoughts:
Berlin: Never been, but have heard it is a wonderful city. What would the weather be like?
Northern Spain: I have been several times, driving from the Basque country to Santiago de Compostela. Loved it immensely and the weather was perfect for me in late July. If I base myself in Bilbao, would I be able to fill my days with day trips to other towns/cities? What other cities should I consider?
Northern France: I have driven around Brittany. If I decide not to drive, where should I base myself?
Lisbon: I have always wanted to visit, but would it be too hot?
Apologies for the vagueness, but I am really stymied, and have little time to plan. I thank you in advance for your time in helping me decide.
Best regards .. Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 2 Scooter/quad/bike rental on Greek Islands
- 3 Poland--where else to go
- 4 5 days in Andalusia
- 5 First time in Spain - family of 2 adults & one child(10 yr old)
- 6 Bilbao, Basque Country, declared Best European City 2018
- 7 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 8 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 9 Shall we Gdansk?
- 10 Malaga Christmas lights
- 11 Help with Spain itinerary
- 12 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 13 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 14 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 15 Planning a Poland itinerary
- 16 Yet another London Hotel Question
- 17 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 18 Good base for visiting Le Marche region
- 19 South of France
- 20 Christmas in South of Spain 2018
- 21 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 22 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 23 Need Car & Driver for Southern Italy
- 24 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 25 Spain December/ January 2018/19