Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to get great Fondu, Berner-Oberland area, not too touristy?

Mar 27th, 2001, 08:59 AM
traveler

Can anyone give a particular place to have great Fondu in Switzerland, preferably in the Interlaken area? We've heard some are overpriced as they cater to tourists. What are some of the more "authentic" places popular with the locals?

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Ed

It's a little hard to find an "authentic" cheese (?) fondue restaurant in the Berner Oberland as the dish originates in the Valais!

That said, we've had the dish all over Switzerland. (There really aren't all that many restaurnats that do it, though.) It's been just fine every time. It's really a bit hard to screw up.

It also tends to be a little pricey most places; the cheese isn't inexpensive and it takes a bit of time and labor to prepare.

You'll be just fine anywhere you find a price that's satisfactory in your mind.

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Ursula

You can get Fondue all over Switzerland. We sometimes have some in very typical places in Zurich. If you tell me where you intend to stay, I shall try to find out for you. However, for us, it is a real winter dish and we would hardly eat it when it is hot. Besides that, I personally prefer to eat it for lunch, because it is very heavy on your stomach especially when you drink white wine with it. A lot of people drink plain black tea with it and sip some "Kirsch" (cherry alcohol, but not sweet) with it to facilitate digestion. Usually, we have a fresh fruit salad to finish. Avoid to eat ice cream or heavy deserts afterwards. You are likely to have stomach-ache then.

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:59 AM
traveler

Thanks for the help...
We'll be staying in the Interlaken area, and day-tripping to Grindelwald and Lucerne.

PS...How's the weather doing there? Are you getting a break in the rain yet? We'll be there in 3 weeks...can't wait!

Mar 27th, 2001, 11:09 AM
bill

For the best fondue go to Leysin and find the resturant Le or la Profandaz. They were rated the best by Playboy in the late 60's. I went to school in Leysin and we'd ski down to the 1700's building and eat Fondue every week. One of my friends went last year and said it was still magical. The place is wood and stone.
Leysin is near Laussane and is up from Aigle on a cog train. Great views and wonderful hiking.