Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to get coins for Laundromats in Rome, Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-get-coins-for-laundromats-in-rome-italy-1712468/)

fisch5rally Jan 23rd, 2023 06:24 AM

Where to get coins for Laundromats in Rome, Italy?

My son is attending school at Tor Vergata but living off campus. He is having issues finding a Laundromat that can make change or a place to get the right coins for the laundromat. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

P_M Jan 23rd, 2023 08:47 AM

I was tempted to suggest the Trevi Fountain but that's probably not the best idea. :)

Has he tried a bank or exchange facility? Or maybe he should a laundry service.

Moderator1 Jan 23rd, 2023 10:15 AM

Welcome to Fodors. We moved your topic to the Europe Forum and tagged it for Italy.

alandavid Jan 23rd, 2023 10:24 AM

Bank or large grocery store may be able to do a roll of coins.
I always just buy water/gelato/snacks using larger bills to get change in small bills/coins.

I always horde coins for pay toilets/street performers. Seems like I never have enough 50 cent/1 euro coins for turnstiles!

suze Jan 24th, 2023 09:26 AM

I'm no expert on Italy, but I would think going to a bank would be the easiest. Knowing exactly the type of coins needed in advance. Or if he speaks Italian enough to ask for appropriate coins for the laundry mat :-)

kleeblatt Jan 24th, 2023 12:55 PM

Trevi fountain

P_M Jan 25th, 2023 02:12 AM

Great minds, kleeblatt. ;)

Traveler_Nick Jan 25th, 2023 02:30 AM

Unless you have an account I doubt the bank will help you.

Doesn't the place have a change machine? I'm not even sure you're asking about normal coins. I know the car washes have their own special coins. You put money into the coin machine and it spits out the right coins.

J62 Jan 25th, 2023 02:47 AM

How old is your son?.....

suze Jan 26th, 2023 06:39 PM

"Unless you have an account I doubt the bank will help you."

Not my experience. I have broken large bills in banks many times with no account. I figured coins would be the same. Surprised the laundry mat doesn't sell the coins needed.

janisj Jan 26th, 2023 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by suze (Post 17432730)
"Unless you have an account I doubt the bank will help you."

Not my experience. I have broken large bills in banks many times with no account. I figured coins would be the same. Surprised the laundry mat doesn't sell the coins needed.

I haven't been in Italy for more than 5 years so don't know the current situation . . . but IF it has gone the way of some other European countries -- one now does need to have an account to use any bank services. I would guess that goes for getting coins as well. In the 'old days' one could always pop into a bank but for instance in some banks you must insert the bank's debit card to even open the door. Like I said though -- not sure the current situation in Italy.

Traveler_Nick Jan 26th, 2023 08:21 PM

To be honest my bank is still more or less running the way it did under Covid. You might need an appointment . I wonder if a tourist would even get past the reception desk.

suze Jan 27th, 2023 10:00 AM

It was just an idea :-) one that has worked for me in other places and recently. But no not in Italy to get coins for a laundry mat. I apologize if this was unhelpful or inaccurate or inappropriate to post.

J62 Jan 27th, 2023 11:54 AM

I'm guessing that this adult son off in Italy is less motivated about laundry than his mom at home in the US. The need to have clean clothes to impress a potential romantic interest might motivate him to find some coinage...