Journee du Patrimonie 2012

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Journee du Patrimonie 2012

OK, to all who have responded to my previous inquires on my upcoming visit to France, thank you. I have one last question. I just found out about 'Heritage Days' which takes place the 15th and 16th of September. During this period, I will be staying for the week in Beynac. So, the question is what to take advantage of during this fete. I plan on visiting Sarlat Saturday morning for the market and then travel north to the gardens d'Eyrignac. I also think a walk and dinner in Sarlat that evening or the next may be worthwhile. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 11:19 PM

You need to be in Sarlat on Saturday night when they have the 'Nuit du Patrimoine' and it IS a big deal - the Tourist office claims that there are 10,000 candles - the little tea light kind. In fact if you go to their website, there is a slide show of photos of the town, with one of the square by candle light.
http://www.ot-sarlat-perigord.fr/ (In fact, looking at the pictures reminds me of how blase we can get living 15 km from Sarlat. Most of my neighbours never go into Sarlat because it's 'too touristy' Well, it is, but it is also beautiful)
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Carlux, thank you for your response. When we return, for Saturday night, what is your recommendation for parking? We will be staying in Beynac, so it is a short drive over to Sarlat. As a 'native' of the area, do you have a favorite restaurant in Sarlat that would be great for Saturday night? I will book via email or phone call from the States. Or in the area for that matter? We have 3 days in Perigeuex followed by 7 days in Beynac.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 04:52 AM

I would probably have a big lunch and a light supper(perhaps at home) because it will be very busy in Sarlat. If you do want to eat in Sarlat, think about the Presidial, which has a lovely outside area if the weather is good. Then you can walk out into the festivities. (There are several threads describing restaurants in the area)

Parking is probably easiest at Parking Desmouret, at the north end of town - off rue Gambetta, the north end of the Rue de la Republique, turn into the parking posted just north of the Hotel de la Madeleine. Go up the hill, past the first parking area (Cordelliers) and up the hill to the next one (marked '150 places.') There is a sign showing a staircase to Centre Ville. If you google Parking Desmouret Sarlat you will get a map.

And, it's Patrimoine, not Patrimonie.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Carlux..I have been studing French on my own for the last 6 years and I am making slow headway. I did realize that I made the error when I saw the post after I hit the submit button. I was hoping it would slide. This is not to say I find all my mistakes. The good news is that I am slowly, should say very slowly, improving and hope to be fully conversant by the time I am eighty...20 years from now.