Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to find morning food for a rental kitchen

Aug 21st, 2006, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

We'll be arriving at the Leonardo da Vinci airport on Air France around noon and must pick up a car and shoot off for our rental near Greve in the Chianti region. I'm puzzled as to how we'll travel and pick up enough food for the following morning. Does anyone know if any grocery shops are open Saturdays in the late afternoon or early evening in Figline, (where we'll exit the autostrada), Dudda, or even in Greve? I'm hoping there's at least some wonderful ground coffee we can purchase at the airport before we leave. Any suggestions appreciated. I don't want everyone to start their first morning in Tuscany hungry and searching for food
Aug 21st, 2006, 10:44 PM

You can stop at any autogrill on the autostrada and buy milk, pastry, OJ or other items for a breakfast. Here is a sample:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/autogrill.htm

Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:05 AM

We rented near Greve last October and arrived early evening. The owner told us there was a Coop (?) / supermarket that would be open. It was on a main street not far from the main square. Sorry, not sure of the hours but I think we shopped around 6.30pm or a little later.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:10 AM

Sorry. Meant to say that we enjoyed the Panzano market on Sunday morning as well as visiting the famous butcher Dario. It was very crowded but great fun watching everyone. Good wine store there too.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:39 AM

We were in a farmhouse in Greve this June and I believe Coop closes at 7. There's parking underneath. Just make sure you get a token in the machine downstairs before you try to leave the parking lot - it's a little confusing and you'll save yourself the embarrassment of not knowing how to get out of the lot with cars piling up behind you. You might also check with your rental agency. Ours offered to stock our fridge with the basics if we were getting there late. Autogrills are also a great suggestion. Have fun - you'll love it there!
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:22 AM

Like SeaUrchin, we too made a stop at an AutoGrill. We stopped at one on the way to our apartment in Umbria to have a quick lunch of panini and picked up some breakfast items. I would just plan on stopping and picking up a few things to hold you over until you can get to a grocery store the next day.

Tracy
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your great suggestions. It's a relief to not have to worry about the little things! Also, I'm happy to know that market day is Sunday in Panzano! I'm disappointed that we'll miss the one in Greve on Saturday. Do you know how early the one in Panzano starts and when they close up?
Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:00 AM

We found that a lot of the grocery shops are open to 6-7pm M-F, close earlier on Saturdays, and are closed all day Sunday.