Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to Find It - Critical Packing Accessories (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-find-it-critical-packing-accessories-387624/)

Sue_xx_yy Jan 15th, 2004 07:15 AM

Where to Find It - Critical Packing Accessories

*Zipper Repair Kits*

Some time ago on one of my trip reports I promised someone I'd give details on where to find a simple zipper repair kit like the kind I always carry. A simple kit will cost only a few dollars and will enable you to replace the pulls of most standard-sized zippers, although to repair mangled coils requires, at the least, a more elaborate kit. You might find that the cost of the more elaborate kit might justify replacing the bag entirely.

Kits are available from Gearaid, which supposedly has a website (gearaid.com). If you do a search on google for 'gearaid zipper repair kit' you might at least find stores near you that sell the kits. I bought ours from a local backcountry/outdoor sports store.

If you know of alternatives to Gearaid, please do post.

Sue_xx_yy Jan 15th, 2004 07:18 AM

Jumbo (12 by 16 inch, 2 gallon) 'Ziploc' brand or similar bags

If you are in the same pickle that I am, no store in your region carries this size of Ziploc bag anymore. (they do wear out eventually, or get lost). You have at least two alternatives:

Option 1: For Fodorites in the continental US, you can order them online from drugstore.com for a quite reasonable price. http://www.drugstore.com/qxp70357_33...allon_size.htm

Option 2: If you live outside the continental US, drugstore.com can arrange shipping for you, but the shipping costs and minimum US50 order might put you off.

Option 3: In that case you can go for the nearest generic equivalent from Gramur supply company in Texas.

http://www.gramur.com/sliderbags.html

They'll ship as few as 50 bags, so team up with a buddy (or give away the surplus as gifts.) I live in Canada and today I received my 50 zipper bags, 3 mil weight, 13 * 18 inches (they actually measure 14 * 18 inches). Total cost for the bags was US21 plus US9 for shipping by regular post (allow 10 to 14 days for bags to arrive).

Option 4: Needless to say Options 2 and 3 are fairly expensive for a plastic bag (Option 3 works out to about CAN 0.80 per bag), but I simply haven't found any other packing alternative that works as well. Eagle Creek packing systems are nice, but fairly weighty, not see-through, and easily rival the bags in expense.

Again, if you know of any other alternative, please post it - someone is sure to thank you.

jody Jan 15th, 2004 07:28 AM

All the stores in my area carry . Hefty Brand One zip , 2 1/2 gallon bags. Your groers should be able to order them if they are not in stock.

elaine Jan 15th, 2004 07:45 AM

Hi
I have trouble finding those Ziplock 2 gallon bags too.
At least one store here in New York carries them, Gracious Home (2 locations) and I believe they have a website. If not, they will definitely ship from the store.

Sue_xx_yy Jan 15th, 2004 08:05 AM

Thanks jody and elaine for posting. Re elaine's post, [email protected] is the email - the store does indeed ship internationally, although I don't know the terms.

If anyone knows of any other useful packing products, please do post.

easytraveler Jan 15th, 2004 08:17 AM

For those who do some washing along the way: REI carries an environmentally friendly liquid soap. Only a few drops are needed. It doesn't produce a ton of suds, so rinsing is minimal. Very handy small bottle will last an entire trip.

I always carry a small bottle in a small Ziploc bag.

REI has a bunch of other wonderful things, mostly for backpackers, but they are in small enough sizes for international travel as well. I love REI! >:D<

Sue_xx_yy Jan 15th, 2004 08:27 AM

oops my bad: re the zipper repair kit - I meant to say, it will allow you to replace the zipper sliders (which come with pulls). Mishaps with the slider are the most common.

Sue_xx_yy Jan 15th, 2004 08:34 AM

another site and manufacturer for zipper repair kits

http://www.zipperrescue.com/faq.asp

http://www.zipperrescue.com/outdoor.asp

elaine Jan 15th, 2004 08:37 AM

Source for REI products?
thanks

Ryn2691 Jan 15th, 2004 08:46 AM

www.rei.com

elaine Jan 15th, 2004 09:05 AM

I didn't realize it was direct from the manufacturer,thanks

Sue_xx_yy Jan 15th, 2004 12:02 PM

Thanks Ryn, easytraveler for your contributions.

As far as I can tell, Canadian equivalent to rei is Mountain Equipment Coop, www.mec.ca.

Barb Jan 15th, 2004 01:38 PM

On my last trip I discovered another good use for the ziploc bags. Believe it or not, in one hotel the sink was not big enough to do handwashing, so I put my undies and soxs in a ziploc, put in some soap and water, sealed it up and used it like a mini washing machine. Worked great.

Marilyn Jan 15th, 2004 02:16 PM

Wow, Barb, that's a great idea! Also very useful when the sink stopper is not working properly or is not there at all.

jody Jan 15th, 2004 02:35 PM

Barb!!

What a great idea!! I always use them to marinate meats and such so I can toss it around,leave it in the fridge and have no wash up!

Wow ...an auto hand washing machine!!

allisonm Jan 15th, 2004 04:17 PM

Wondering...besides using as a mini-washing machine and meat marinator, why would I take 2 gallon bags on my trip? (I pack my socks and undies in separate gallon bags so they won't be handled if someone goes through my bags.) Plus I got space bags for the last trip. So why 2 gal bags?

mercy Jan 15th, 2004 09:08 PM

Albertson's Grocery and some of the Cut-Rate stores like Big Lots carry the larger bags--seem like they carry them more during the fruit prserving season.

The larger 2-2 1/2 gallon bags work great if you roll your tops. I usually wear poly-cotton tops (with or without collars.) After I've ironed them and let them sit for a day or so to be sure there is no moisture in them, I fold them in 1/2, tuck the sleeves in, and roll them. A roll fits perfectly in the width of a bag. I can usually get five and sometimes six in a bag. Then I squeeze the air out and seal. When I want to wear one, I take it out, spray it with a bit of "Wrinkle Release" and it's good to go.

On most trips, tops are worn more than once. After two wearing( or maybe three depending on circumstances,) I roll a top inside out and use one of the two zip bags for the "used" ones. Having as many things in ziploc bags makes for easy packing, easy access to items when you are looking for next day's outfit, and repacking is easy. It is also good to have the zip locs if your luggage is hand searched.

I am about four boxes of zip locs ahead, because I buy them when I see them. I also tuck several different sizes in my luggage (and other plastic baggies) because they can come in very handy. mhm

kaudrey Jan 16th, 2004 04:19 AM

allison - I think people use the 2 gallon zip locks instead of the space bags - it's cheaper. I'm sure there are other uses, too, though.

Karen

Sue_xx_yy Jan 16th, 2004 05:02 AM

Barb, I join the others in congratulating you on your portable washing machine idea.

Allisonm

It's as kaudrey and mercy said, plus:

I pack my travel document folders and maps in a giant bag, keeps them organized for easy access, not to mention protects them from damage from handling, spilled liquids, etc.

I fold my rain jacket into one bag and my sweater into another and use these as cushions. These are particularly appreciated on the flight over (I book a window seat and like to lean against the window, but without something in between the window is hard-surfaced and cold.)

On another board, a woman once confided that her husband used one as - wait for it - an emergency urinal. Hey, when ya gotta go....

bettyk Jan 16th, 2004 06:23 AM

In my experience, the newer zipper closure bags don't seem to work as well as the original bags. They can leak air and sometimes they just come undone.