Where to find beach weather in May?

Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Where to find beach weather in May?

I am planning a trip to Denmark in the beginning of May of 2009 for a wedding celebration. We will have a week afterward to travel somewhere else to rent a villa with some friends. What I'm looking for is a warm weather location (we are beach folks). We're open to pretty much anything at this point. What would you advise?
Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:27 AM

In Europe Greek islands, Turkish Riviera, Spain (Costa del Sol and Canary islands)
Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:49 AM

Maggi, it depends on what your water temp tolerance is -- if you are from the Northeast US, or form UK, you can take water that's a little more brisk.

I can only speak re Greek Isles, and in most, it's quite chilly until May 15 or so, though I DO take my plunge. Places where water has warmed up most by May 12-15, where I've been?

(1)RHODES -- Lindos Bay, St.Pauls Bay are noted as "sun traps"

(2)CRETE - South Coast beaches like Matala, Plakia, Ag. Galini -- all "resorty" places but quiet in May.

(3)NAXOS - St.George beach is quite shallow, so warms up earlier..tho you have to wade out a bit to swim.

Weather: usually great for sunning - afternoon temps around 80; for island by island monthly averages, pick an island on this list:
http://weather.yahoo.com/regional/GRXX.ht

May is GREAT in the Isles; things are open but not crowded, rains are gone but flowers & greenery are lush.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:57 AM

Maybe also Malta (not that many sandy beaches), Cyprus, Tunesia, Morocco -- though I would not expect anything similar to the Carribean with regard to water temperatures. Tunesia and Morocco may require additional visa or similar if you are from the US.
The availability of vacation homes may vary since destinations like Turkey, Tunesia, or Morocco are more focused on tourists with package deals for airfare plus hotel. Finding a finca on the Canary Islands or on the Costa del Sol is easy, though.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:27 AM

Cyprus sea is still a little chilly in May although air temps are usually really good. Beaches are not that great but plenty of villa accommodation. Maybe somewhere like Sharm El Sheikh might have better sea temps.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:36 AM

I body surfed nekd at Biarritz in May. Good water and waves. You won't get waves in the Med, or Basque food.

Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I will check them out.
Maggi