Lack of airport shuttles in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it my imagination, or do hotels near airports in Ireland not have shuttles ?
Specifically Shannon Airport
It would be so nice to return a rental car the night before and take a shuttle from the hotel to the airport in the morning.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 07:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are these things called taxis . . . or buses.

Actually, relatively few hotels anywhere in Europe offer shuttle buses to airports.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Generally most European airports have a bus joining hotels which you have to pay for to get the hotel. However Shannon is out in the mists a bit.

Which hotel?
http://www.parkinn.ie/airporthotel-shannon is a 2 minute walk
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
By which I mean big airports, while Shannon is a little one
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Usually only those hotels adjacent to larger airports have shuttles. If the airport is small - or the hotel not right near the airport - shuttles are very rare.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 09:51 AM

Lots of hotels that are right near airports have shuttles to them, in Europe, in my experience. Of course hotels that are far away won't, but in any major city in Europe I've been in, airport hotels do have shuttles to the airport, that is part of their function and what they advertise. I know they do in Paris, as I've stayed at one and seen all the shuttles, as well as in Barcelona, London, Madrid and other cities where I've been, and you don't pay for those usually (I never have). I think Heathrow is different in that there is a regular bus company who has a hotel shuttle around the airport for which you pay. SO it must be because Shannon is small and there aren't really many of those big business chain hotels near it.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 10:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Lots of hotels that are right near airports have shuttles to them, i<<

Sure - some do. (I did say 'relatively few' . . . Not 'no' European hotels have shuttles). But it is MUCH less common than like in the States where even a lowly Travelodge or Motel 6 will have free airport shuttles. More typical are for-pay buses.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 04:39 PM

Dublin does but we use a taxi if there is no bus. It really is much easier on the morning of with luggage.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 10:40 AM

There is a local bus that will drop and pick you up from the bus stop outside the Oakwood arms in Shannon. Bus Eireann operate the local workers service.. otherwise Taxi or as suggested the Park Inn across the Rd from the terminal.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

My thanks to all who responded.
I have taken shuttles from CDG to hotels/apartments twice in Paris and I am of course aware of taxis, but tend to be a bit leery of them arriving on time. I was just curious about the absence of shuttles around Shannon airport(courtesy or otherwise).
I have stayed at the Oak Wood Arms several times(and loved it),and taken a taxi from there at 6:30 am (a little nail biting occurred, but it did indeed arrive on time and we did manage to cram in all the luggage and 3 passengers).
I prefer a shuttle, if available, since they are usually already at the hotel and can usually accommodate the luggage, without any problem.

After reading the reviews for the Park Inn, I believe I will pass on it and stick with the one I know and like.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:32 AM

Nothing wrong with the Park (Changed owners beginning of last year) if you are just checking in at 9pm getting a sleep in a clean comfortable bed and getting up again at 4 or 5am but that is true of most "airport" hotels.