Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to enjoy the Arsenal's after game party?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Arsenal and Villarreal are playing on April 25th when we'll be in London. We are very excited about the match and wondering where the after game parties will be in London? Any street parties? If so, where? Appreciate any comments.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:40 AM

Oh, Helen, you made me laugh out loud. Please tell me that's not a troll.....
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:56 AM

I can tell you it won't be in White Hart Lane or Fulham Broadway (unless Arsenal lose).
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 03:47 AM

Confidence, like paint, can hide a multitude of flaws.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Here are some links to Arsenal supporters:

http://tinyurl.com/g4bfu
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

What's so funny about my question? Maybe, I'm posting this question to the wrong group of audience. I've been to Spain and enjoyed lots of soccer after game parites. I am planning of doing so in London after the match.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 03:32 PM

There are no parties as such after normal football games - people simply go home (sad or elated depending on result) or go to a pub for a drink or two with their mates. Only spontaneous celebrations happen after a big final - like FA Cup, World Cup, winning the league (Premiership). Should Arsenal win the semi-final tie against Villareal, I expect there will be a jubilant crowd around Highbury and you can go there even without a ticket just to soak in the atmosphere. Local Arsenal-fan pubs will be busy before and after the match. Sadly there's next to no chance of getting a ticket for the match, unless you wish to part with several hundred pounds to a scalper.
See http://www.footballgroundguide.co.uk/ and click Arsenal under Premiership to get an idea of the surroundings.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Even if Arsenal wins...maybe the party is on the Villarreal side , we are that way Villarreal is only 6km far from where I live..I know what I'm saying , people there it's so proud of being at the semi finals that even if they lose they will enjoy London, sure
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Having lived in the area for years, I've never found any kind of atmosphere right after a major match (though a day or two after victory in really, really major matches - which semi-finals aren't - there's a great atmosphere for the parade from the ground to Islington Town Hall). Alec saummarises it very well.

Any attempt at street parties would be broken up within seconds: the police are quite firm about letting us get a decent night's sleep. Pubs are a bit boisterous till closing time. Supporters of foreign clubs are generally politely ushered to the tube station to cavort in central London.

The best atmosphere will be practicaly any pub - practically anywhere in town -showing the match: if you're a Villareal supporter, you'll be most welcome round White Hart Lane or Stamford Bridge. The area immediately round the stadium is hardly anyone's idea of a good place to boogie: the patrons of the nearest partyers' paradise - the long row of bars along Upper Street - have better things to do with their time than worry about football matches, and you'd be astonished at how little interest there is in the match once you get 100 yards from the stadium.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM

Sure you're not a troll?

If so, I'm sorry for laughing, but, honestly, football's not like that here. Maybe after internationals (and really, not even then).

But if you wnt to take up following rugby we can maybe show you a good time.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 03:02 AM

....must resist impulse to mention travellers' sites......

In all seriousness there aren't such things as after game parties - the old bill are quite keen to get people out of the area before they get too drunk.

The pubs around the library (in particular the Gunner's Arms) will be heaving with slack jawed mouthbreathers with ketchup on their replica shirts.

There will be a party if they win the bloody thing (can any one imnagine anything worse?). They will pararde the cup on an open top bus (or possibly open top caravan) and end up at Islington Town Hall.

Hope this helps

David - most definately not a gooner.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 03:10 AM

Oh and in all seriousness don't go to the area around White Hart Lane expecting an anti-goon atmosphere - it's bloody awful. Also most spurs fans don't live in Tottenham (spurs aren't a big team in Somalia!).

Fulham Broadways nice though....
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Helen10101: &quot;<i>Maybe, I'm posting this question to the wrong group of audience.</i>&quot;

Hardly - since most who have answered you live in the UK and most of those right in London. And are football supporters as well. You are asking about something that simply doesn't exist. And IF it did, you would want to be there - honest.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That should be &quot; . . . And IF it did, you <b>wouldn't</b> want to be there - honest&quot;
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Anyway, the word &quot;party&quot; looks a bit exaggerated even for Spain.. Sure there are big celebrations here after important games but the usual thing is a little group eating, singing and drinking beer or wine, I don't name that &quot;party&quot;
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:43 AM

&quot;Maybe, I'm posting this question to the wrong group of audience.&quot;

Not quite. When all us London-based lowlifes on this board agree on something, chances are you've asked the wrong question.

Now post-match street parties are as likely as our going through the World Cup without at least one major scandal around misbehaving English football supporters who, IMHO, we should simply put onto a Chanell ferry and sink.

But somewhere in our great metrop, there's a pub or cafe or lockin where most patrons will want to see Villanova win, rather than Arsenal lose. Probably that'll be a pub or whatever mostly patronised by Spaniards.

And I haven't got the foggiest where that is. French pubs, Italian coffee bars, Dutch hangouts, Turkish mini-embassies off Green Lanes. But never seen a place Spaniards call their own.

French schools. French churches (integration was never les grenouilles' strong suit). American schools. Entire Japanese shopping malls. Australian and Irish boozers from Willesden to Croydon. But not a single monument to hispanidad (unless you count the plaques to Simon de Bolivar) I've stumbled over anywhere.

So three options, unless there's another Londoner on this board who's ever found a bunch of Spaniards in a pub they call their own.

First, try the thorntree site. Ask about places in London Spaniards hang out on both their UK and their W Europe boards. Make sure you phrase it to exclude Spanish restaurants.

Second, go to a branch of Bridisa, or their operation at Borough Market. Ask the staff (who are still rooted in Spain enough to rejoice whenever I buy a hambone from them and explain lovingly how their mum makes soup from it) where they're going to watch the match.

Third. Google on &quot;London Spanish Mass&quot; Roughly half London's Catholic churches have at least one Mass in Spanish on Sundays. Go to one. During the Peace, or at the end, ask around. Not only will this get you somewhere to see the match. It'll help save your soul.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Sorry. That should have been Brindisa.

Also, we should put football hooligans onto a Channel ferry and sink it.