Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to eat LUNCH in Santorini, Rhodes and Navplion?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-eat-lunch-in-santorini-rhodes-and-navplion-501233/)

Oklahoma_Traveler Feb 4th, 2005 01:56 PM

Where to eat LUNCH in Santorini, Rhodes and Navplion??

We are cruising the Mediterranean in August and have only VERY short stops in Santorini (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.), Rhodes (8:00 - 5:00 p.m.) and Navplion (9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.). Doesn't look like we'll get to linger at any of these locations for a great dinner while watching the sun set. SO, can anybody recommend fantastic places to eat lunch? I've already done a search and most of the advice is geared toward dinner and sunsets. Anybody out there with recommendations that will be great for lunch??? We love local, one-of-a-kind places. THANKS!!!

brotherleelove2004 Feb 4th, 2005 02:07 PM

When you get to Santorini take a taxi to the most beautiful and traditional village of Oia and ask for directions to the Oia Cafe-Restaurant. It's to the right of the main square as you face the sea, a short walk along the path. Sit outside and enjoy the wonderful view while having a gourmet lunch. Have a look around the village before you return to Fira.

Patrick Feb 4th, 2005 03:53 PM

I have another suggestion in Oia. Go down the many, many steps to the water and eat at the casual place there where they bring around the fresh whole fish to show you, you pick, and they grill them on an open wood fire. Along with Greek salad -- it doesn't get any better. But be careful. My chair was within a foot of the each of the dock -- no railing.

Oklahoma_Traveler Feb 6th, 2005 03:06 PM

Thanks for the help -- we really appreciate it.

Patrick -- do you think the name of the restaurant you are referencing is Katina Fish Taverna???

Anybody with advice for Rhodes and Navplion???

Katie2 Feb 6th, 2005 03:26 PM

When you arrive on Rhodes, take a cab to Lindos and have lunch at Mavrikes Brothers restaurant which is on the circle. I highly recommend their fresh grilled lobster. They also bring out a tray of local fresh fish from which you may select.

Patrick Feb 6th, 2005 04:18 PM

In my journal I wrote it was called Kyma. I was surprised to find a name. It wasn't much of a place, almost seemed like just a couple of local fisherman set up shop or restaurant on the wharf and went to work.

SeaCaptainsHouse Mar 25th, 2005 02:25 PM

All the tavernas at Amoudi Port in Oia are worth the trip - name change in the port = Kyma is now 'Blue'. And in the village of Oia - we've name changed 'Oia's Cafe-Restaurant' to simply 'Ambrosia & Nectar'. Still the same management and open for Lunch . Dinner . Wines into the night...

janie7 Sep 20th, 2005 10:06 AM

While in Santorini, visit akrotiri. It's an amazing 3,700 year old village. Lunch with out a doubt senor zorba. The only thing better then the food and margaritas is the view. While in Rhodes visit the ruins. A walk through old town is a must. Some really good tavernas. So I would reccomend a taverna in old town for lunch.