Where to eat in Mont St Michel?

Dec 20th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Where to eat in Mont St Michel?

I'm spending one night in June at the Auberge St. Pierre in Mont Saint Michel. Has anyone ever eaten at the restaurant there? I'm being offered a room price for 99E, a room plus demi-pension (breakfast and diner) fro 130E. Having never been to the island, I have no idea of the prices. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM
tod

merrittm - We only spent one entire day on the Mont and had a very average lunch at one of the busy tourist cafe`s.
If I were in your shoes I would opt for the restaurant in the Auberge St.Pierre as it couldn't be any worse than any of the other very busy venues at that time of year.
Prices are naturally over the top!
Dec 20th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Pausanias

Mont St-Michel is not famous for the value of its hotels or the quality of its food. In fact, the Rough Guide to Normandy and Brittany states simply that it is impossible to recommend a reliable restaurant on the Mont. That was our experience.

Perhaps someone will come through with a positive suggestion. If not, I expect you'll do as well at your hotel as elsewhere.

Dec 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Just eat at one of the snack cafés, where at least you can get a decent sandwich without spending a lot of Euros for mediocre food.
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:29 AM

I took my brother and sister-in-law there in October, and we just chose a reasonably priced place after consulting the menu. The food was nothing special but it was totally adequate, and we had no complaints.
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Well Mere Poulard, if i have the name right, is a renown Mont restaurant and instigators of the famous Mere Poulard omelettes - right on the Grande Rue - the Mont's only commercial drag.
I may have the spelling or name slightly wrong but very famous place.
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:12 AM

We've stayed at the Auberge St. Pierre twice, and I really like the hotel. Breakfast is pricey for what it is - it's not a bad breakfast, but it's cheaper to go to the Champion and buy something there to eat in-room.

We've had dinner there several times, and it was very nice. Not fancy, I just always have gotten the spagetti. The service is decent, as is the food. I remember on the way to the Mont last year (we were there this year as well), thinking that we'd need to get food before arriving, since I expected it to be very pricey. We stopped at the Buffalo Grill (very good), but the food at the Auberge was very reasonably priced, surprisingly.

We have photos from our trip at www.neesie.org, though I don't think we have any of the hotel room (next time I should do that). We liked the Auberge enough to stay there again this year, for 3 nights.

Dec 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Pausanias

Palenque --

Renowned it may be. The omelet is tasty, if more of a starter than a main dish. Order anything else at your peril!

Dec 20th, 2006, 12:34 PM

I have to advise against Mere Poulard. It was expensive for the puffy omelet (25E-may have included a very small salad). It was not a good omelet. DH had a fish dish which was not good either. The staff has a surly attitude and we had to request bread three times. Many years ago I saw MP on some travel show and the tables were cozily arranged around a fire. That is not the case now and the atmosphere was definitely not cozy or charming. It was a waste of money IMO.
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:38 PM

25 E for an omelet? What was IN it? (LOL)
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM

We didn't eat at Mere Poulard due to price either. I think my spagetti at the Auberge was 7 or 8 Euros.

Dec 20th, 2006, 12:45 PM

mama poulard sounds like a tourist rip off par excellence. now you know where not to eat!
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:12 PM

We ate dinner at Auberge St Pierre ....took the demi-pension. Dinner was nice. We had lamb...that's all I can remember but it was a good choice. No way were we going to have the omelet.
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM

I vote for Mere Poulard....it was memmorable and great fun.
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:28 AM

Another voice and another opinion - could it be that Mere Poulard experience can vary with whether the place is packed or not, like in high season? Me i've never eaten there and only knew that it was a very famous historic establishment.
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Merci to all who answered. I've decided to go for the demi-pension at the Hotel St. Pierre. I had read about Mere Poulard (you have the correct spelling) and had looked at the website, but that IS an expensive omlette and I'd read mixed reviews. Also, after having had the best omlette of my entire life in Provence in Biot, I am loathe to mess with a mediocre one! Thank you all for your help.
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:49 AM

I have had a Poulard omelette and was not impressed. But then again, I am not a big fan of eggs anyway.
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM

I hope you will post how it went at the Auberge -- we're going to stay there in Sept.
Jan 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM

I stayed there in September, 2007 and took the demi-pension option. It was ok given the choices on Mont St Michel. No one's there for the food
Jan 28th, 2008, 10:45 PM

Annw: We (3 couples stayed at the Auberge St. Pierre this last September. We did the demi-pension and all 6 were very satisfied with selections for Dinner, the breakfast buffet, including freshly made crepes which you smell being made as you wake up/get dressed in the am. Three different rooms, all different decorations with different view. Staff was most obliging and helpful.

I'd be glad to email you pix of rooms, gardens and meals if you like. Just email [email protected]

We would not hesitate to do the demi-pension again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO