Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to eat dinner in Wengen Switzerland and Zurich, Switzerland. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-eat-dinner-in-wengen-switzerland-and-zurich-switzerland-372102/)

nannibray Jun 3rd, 2008 05:37 PM

Where to eat dinner in Wengen Switzerland and Zurich, Switzerland.

Hi Everyone,
We leave for 17 days in Switz. thanks to a lot on help from this forum. The trip is all planned.We will have 6 nights in Wengen and will take 1/2 board at our hotel - the Baron.
However, they do not serve dinner on Sunday nights. Any Suggestion on a decent value place to eat? We will be in Wengen for Sunday 5:45 Mass so it makes sense to just eat in Wengen afterwards. However, we could go down to Lauterbrunnen for dinner if there is a terrific place.

Also, where is a fun decent place to eat our last night in Zurich?? We will only have that afternoon and eve in Zurich before flying home on July 4.

Thanks to all!
Nannibray

brookwood Jun 3rd, 2008 07:05 PM

I have eaten in Lauterbrunnen several times, but my pick of the lot closed for dinner. Try the Hotel Oberland or the Hotel Silberhorn if you are down that way.

Otherwise, I suggest looking at the menus and see if one hotel restaurant has something you like. Most of the restaurants in Wengen are tied to a hotel. The same is true in Lauterbrunnen.

I cannot help you with Zürich.

Cicerone Jun 10th, 2008 12:37 AM

In order of preference for Wengen, I would say the Caprice hotel (see www.caprice-wengen.ch), preferably outside on their deck with the view, then the Silberhorn or the Eiger. (www.silberhorn.ch and Hoteleiger.com, note that Silberhorn is a common hotel name, and there is one in Lauterbrunnen as well) The Beausite Park Hotel would also be a nice choice, a little walk back in the village, and some good views. (http://www.parkwengen.ch) The Alpenrose would be a good idea too. (alpenrose.ch) If Mary’s Café is open for dinner, a walk out there and dinner would be wonderful, and it is light so late you could do this quite late into the evening. (Any of these would be good for lunch too.) Caprice is more gourmet and expensive, followed by the Beausite, which actually has two restaurants. Mary’s is the most casual of them all, but a really lovely setting. The Eiger does fondue most of the year I believe. You may need a booking at any of them.

I am underwhelmed by the restaurants in Lauterbrunen and would not recco a trip down there just for a meal.

For Zurich, I have in the past posted a very long list of restaurant reccos. Without knowing what kind of food you want (for example, one of my favourite Thai restaurants in the world is in Zurich) or your budget, it is hard to give specific recommendations, but the list should help you. Search for a thread called “One Day in Zurich”. If you can’t find it, I can try and will top it for you.

traveller1959 Jun 10th, 2008 01:04 AM

Here some very trendy restaurants in Zürich (they all are "fun decent places"):

Kaufleuten: a classic upscale restaurant with a fancy bar and night club in the same building, type of food: Swiss classics

Alpenrose: very trendy among younger people, alpine-style retro ambiance, type of food: regional (e.g. perch and egli from Lake Zürich)

Rietberg: upscale modern chic in an old building right in the middle of old town, type of cuisine: innovative, with mediterranean accents

Reithalle: trendy restaurant within the old horse stables, rather inexpensive, type of cuisine: world cuisine

In terms of quality of food and prices the order would be:

1. Rietberg
2. Kaufleuten
3. Alpenrose
4. Reithalle

global_guy Jun 10th, 2008 02:05 AM

In Zurich;
LaSalle, Seidenspinner, and Blu are stylish and delicious options. LaSalle has some traditional dishes including the best (horse) steak I've ever had :)

traveller1959 Jun 10th, 2008 02:55 AM

Here some links:

www.restaurant-reithalle.ch
www.restaurant-alpenrose.ch
www.kaufleuten.com
http://zuri.net/adr/18527/restaurant_rietberg.htm

kleeblatt Jun 10th, 2008 03:02 AM

Here's a link to an English expat website in English. Gives their recommendations of Zürich restaurants:

http://www.englishforum.ch/entertain...al-zurich.html

P.S. Did you see my thread with Zürich City Tour: July 3?

traveller1959 Jun 10th, 2008 06:27 AM

Sorry, the name of one restaurant in Zürich is not Rietberg but Rechberg.

www.rechberg.ch

ira Jun 10th, 2008 07:19 AM

Hi C,

We took your advice and had dinner at Ban Song Thai.

Very, very good.

((I))

nannibray Jun 10th, 2008 08:10 PM

Thanks everyone. I have a lot of choices to consider.
Schuler.
I did see your thread about the July 3 evening Walking tour. Any more info about it??
We leave the USA Monday June 16 so our contact information must be completed before then. I'll also check my other post to see if you left a reply.
Where in the train station would we meet??
Nannibray

nannibray Jun 10th, 2008 08:12 PM

TRAVELLER
Thanks for the links
They are in German but will check more into Reithalle
Out budget is modewst and perhaps that would be best.

traveller1959 Jun 10th, 2008 11:28 PM

You will enjoy the Reithalle. It is very atmospheric.

They have lunch menus for 18.50 to 24.50 SFR.

For dinner, you should count 25 to 29 SFR for a main course and around 10 SFR for a dessert (no need for an appetizer).

Here examples from their dinner menu:

- Vegetarian eggplant curry 23.50
- Swiss meatloaf with red wine sauce 26.50
- Baked pork breast 24.50
- Fillet of ostrich "Stroganoff" 29.50
- Grilled lamb kebab 28.50

Guten Appetit!

jelane Jun 11th, 2008 12:48 AM

I agree with the posters above, the Caprice is a wonderful hotel/restaurant. If you do have dinner there, see if they have the terrine of appenzeller and artichoke, it was so wonderful. When I returned home they were so kind to send me the recipe. Enjoy, it is a wonderful country and so relaxing.