Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   WHERE TO EAT (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-eat-519209/)

bobmcki2 Apr 6th, 2005 07:38 PM

WHERE TO EAT

WE ARE GOING ON A RIVER CRUISE IN JULY TO PRAGUE-NUREMBURG-MELK-VIENNA-BUDAPEST. WHERE SHOULD WE EAT IN THESE CITIES?

rex Apr 6th, 2005 07:49 PM

Okay, I'll let someone else be the bad guy, and inform "bob"...

... that USING ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED THE SAME AS SHOUTING, AND WE ARE NOT HARD OF HEARING, AND DON'T LIKE BEING YELLED AT!

Best wishes,

Rex

nytraveler Apr 7th, 2005 06:54 AM

What is your budget? Are you looking for local cafes for a casuale lunch? Or 3* restaurants for a grand dinner experience?

Patrick Apr 7th, 2005 07:02 AM

If it is a river cruise, aren't most meals arranged? If not, which meals are you looking for -- what type of food, what area of each city, and how much do you want to spend? Normally if your stops are somewhat brief, the people on the ship can make the best suggestions for places near to you so you won't "miss the boat" so to speak.
People here suggesting places that are too far to get to, too expensive, or not what you are looking for, just seems like such a waste of time for all concerned. But if you can be more specific, I'm sure you can get some good suggestions here.

bobmcki2 Apr 7th, 2005 10:05 AM

Sorry about the shouting. We are on a low budget and want reasonable prices in some expensive towns. We will mostly eat on the boat, but will be out and about on some occasions. We value info from someone who has been there recently

elaine Apr 7th, 2005 10:08 AM

Sorry, just trying to get a little more information. Would you be in towns for lunches or dinners, or either. Do you have activites planned, such as city tours, or specific sights you will be heading toward?

Patrick Apr 7th, 2005 10:11 AM

So am I understanding you right that what you are really looking for is a place in each town to grab something quick and inexpensive to eat -- probably at lunchtime near whatever attractions you may be visiting?

m_kingdom2 Apr 7th, 2005 10:20 AM

How about just having a quick bite from a pavement café?

When I'm away, I might have breakfast, and dinner, or more usually I'll have some fruit for lunch, and a dinner. You're on a cruise, I'm quite sure they'll feed you to the point of bursting.

Patrick Apr 7th, 2005 10:27 AM

I agree 100% with m_kingdom (isn't that a surprise?). If you aren't looking for a special dining experience, why waste money or time when your time will surely be limited anyway? Go as quick and casual as possible -- cafe, street stand, even carryout or picnic in a park. And it certainly isn't worth trying to compile a list of these places, it will totally depend on where you are when the hunger pangs hit.
Incidentally, we sat at a nice little cafe in Melk -- there is a whole row of them, and spent a frustrating almost two hours having lunch. We wanted to leave, but couldn't. There were so many ways we felt we could have been spending our time better.