Where to drop a car off - Salisbury or Heathrow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello...I'm wondering where we should drop a rental car off on a thursday morning, before heading into London. We will be in Salisbury and then going into London for 2 days before flying home.
I've read here on the boards, that many people consider Heathrow the most convenient. But, I was considering dropping it off at a location in Salisbury and taking a train into London. And my fiance wants to drive into London, which I think is a bad idea all around.
Thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM

It really all depends on your ability to drive in a big city. If you get flustered or confussed drop it at Heathrow. Also consider where you are going to park the car in london - will you keep it all the time etc
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Either Salisbury or LHR would be fine. It mostly would depend on if you wanted to see anything that morning - like stopping at Windsor enroute. But f you are just heading straight to London - I see no reason to drive to LHR if you can drop the car in Salisbury. Plus, you can save a day's car rental since you can turn it in on Wed if you are staying in Salisbury Wed night.

Driving in to London on a weekday morning should be avoided if at all possible.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:49 AM

Windsor is about the only place between Salisbury and LHR that's worthy of a stop. However you'll still have to get to London from the airport. If you're not that interested in Windsor, definitely drop the car off in Salisbury and take the train. Far less hassle.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

We wouldn't be stopping at Windsor, and I'd like to get into London as early as possible. I hadn't considered dropping the car off Wed night, but that seems like a good idea. We are staying at a B&B that's pretty central in Salisbury that night.
Thanks guys!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:21 AM

If you drop the car Wednesday late, you could take a cab to the Salisbury station Thurday am - it would be pretty cheap as you won't be going all that far. It was a mile from the train station to our lodging in the Cathedral Close. We walked it, but we only had an overnight bag over our shoulder.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Or maybe - the B&B owner might be able to drop you off at the station. It all depends - some places even advertise that as an amenity.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise! Seemed like Salisbury was the best option overall.
So, we booked to drop it off Thursday morning in a location in dowtown salisbury. I choose Thursday because they close early wed, and I didn't want to give up the car that early, in case we are driving around touring.
We'll have to get a cab ride to the train station afterwards, but that should be fine.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM

Wise choice. Your Thursday morning will now allow for a relaxed breakfast and a post rush hour train to London.