Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to dine without spending all of the kids inheritance

Jan 15th, 1999, 04:02 PM
Richard

Going to Paris January 23rd for a week. Need restaurants that will not cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jan 15th, 1999, 05:56 PM
Joel

One man's arm and a leg is another man's pittance. The very best thing you can do is go down to your local Barnes & Noble or via internet order a copy of the Michelin Red Guide for France or for Paris. (Same Paris restaurant listings in both.) You will find thousands of restaurants listed by Arrondissement, by specialty dish, and by quality of the food. For every listing the average meal price is also given. The Michelin rating service is the foremost in France, to the point where chefs have committed suicide over the loss of a star. Michelin has a 3 star system: one star is a very good restaurant of which there are about 60 in Paris; 2 stars means it's quite exceptional, of which there are about 30; and 3 stars means it is one of the world's top restaurants and in all of France there are about 20, but 5 are in Paris. Everything you need to know is there.

Jan 15th, 1999, 06:08 PM
Joel

Richard, I should add one more thing to my reply above. There are few bad restaurants in Paris. Since the menus are posted on the exterior, if you see a menu that appeal to you and the place suits your taste, try it. It's unlikely you'll be disappointed.
Do you know how a French menu works? Very different from the US. The menu will be divided into different meals by price. For example, you may see a heading that says "Menu at 75FF" then below it a choice of 3 or 4 entrees, 3 or 4 main courses, and 3 or 4 desserts. You mix and match and the bill will be 75FF except for beverage. There will usually 3 or 4 of these varying, of course, by the price and the choices involved. I doubt you will see much below 75FF in Paris nowadays. I normally expect to walk out of a restaurant about 150FF lighter (roughly $25). Lunch in a brasserie would run you $15, but maybe that's just my taste.
The tip is included in the price of virtually all meals. Having lived there 2 years, I can recall no exception to that practice. Wine is seldom included

Jan 15th, 1999, 11:20 PM
Donna

Agree with above. Cheap Eats in Paris and the Access Guide (both of which are organized by neighborhood) are full of excellent, moderately priced, possibilities. Also excellent are any of the student guidebooks. While out and about, be on the lookout for the wonderful crepe and sandwich vendors. The menus are posted everywhere, but it's good to have a menu translator along and be familiar with the offerings, as the menus, except for the heavily traveled tourist areas, are only in French.

Jan 16th, 1999, 07:20 AM
Vincent

Yes, and just one more thing, that goes with the previous post about tipping : not only is there no tipping, but taxes are included. That actually amounts to a 30 % discount compared to the prices you see in an American menu. For instance, if an entree is priced $10 in the States, you will actually pay it $13. In France, if it's 50F, you'll have to spend 50 F (this is why so many Americans complain about the cost of French restaurants, just a matter of cultural habits ! ).