Where to Christmas in all of Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A serious-if-quite-broad question. We want to spend Christmas somewhere wonderful in Europe. Our requirements are few: 1) a city or town where retaurants will be open on Christmas Day; 2) somewhere where it's not freezing (cold is fine, freezing is not); 3) somewhere historical. I know, that's all of Europe. Seriously, December flights are cheap if we book now. Anyone have wonderful European Christmas memories to share? I'd love to hear all...
Brian
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:11 AM
jay

Brian,
We have done christmas in London, Paris, Rome and Provence. All were fabulous in their own way. Rome at christmas was really nice and I would say it was my favorite. Understated christmas elegance and seeinf the pope on christmas day was very cool. The weather was great, 50-55 deg f during the day, certainly ok for fleece. It actually got up to 65 on our day trip to Ostia Anitca.

Paris is also a wonderful city at christmas but it is very windy and cold. We had fun but the rest of the group of relatives we were with complained about the cold (we are from Seattle so it was like home to us).

For some reason I thought London was too much like home. Others have posted on London and liked it but that is just my opinion.

Provence is a different vibe than the others because the cities aren't as big as the others that I mentioned. It is much more low key. We had no problems in finding restaurants that were open. Overall it was a nice experience but lik I said it was very low key.

Provence was very different
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:57 AM

We spent this past Christmas in Brugge, Belgium. We rented an apartment (Carmers at Drie Koningen...fabulous fresh delivery of pastries every morning). Christmas market setup in the Markt along with an ice skating rink. Fabulous Belgian beers. Lots of warm fireplaces.

No problems with restuarants on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Our Christmas dinner was at Tom's Diner and it was delicious.

Instead of exchanging gifts, we did a photo souvenir hunt (Brugge is small and very walkable). We had a list of approximately 75 items (everything from dog wearing a sweater to spilled frites), then split into 2 teams (my hubby and I versus my parents) for 2 hours. We regrouped over beers, and performed the judging. The winners were treated to happy hour at the location of their choice the following afternoon.

Most people only spend 2-3 nights in Brugge, but we always go for a week. We love it, and it is well located for day trips to Ghent, Antwerp, Brussels, and even Leuven.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 we spent 4 days between Christmas and NewYear in Pargue, and in 2005 we did the same in Budapest. Both were great, but Prague just gets our votes. THey are used to being cold, there's lots going on, you can book for loads of good concerts and the puppet shows in Prague are great. In both places, we went to the opera for peanuts, and in budapest, all the museums were free and warm. You just leave your big top coats in the cloakroom [free] amd wander round in normal clothes.
There were a few places closed, but lots were open, and lots of restaurants will be open even on Christmas day. Web sites should show you what is going to be closed when.
Plus If it snows, they know just what to do, and the place just keeps going [not like the UK] So either would be great.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Haven't done Christmas in Europe, but did do New Year's in Paris. It was wonderful - no worry about finding restaurants open there. The lights and holiday decorations were great, and, oh! the oysters!
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Pausanias

We've spent Christmas in Rome, Paris and London, and that is our order of preference. London (actually, all of England) is pretty much shut down for Christmas and Boxing Day. You are left with your hotel. This year it falls on a Monday -- beware the weekend before, too.

Paris and Rome are very lively (Rome not on Christmas Eve). I give the edge to Rome because of the better weather. One of the world's great pagan rites takes place in Rome on Christmas Eve -- wander over to Santa Maria d'Aracoeli for midnight mass!

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Vienna or Salzburg would be lovely, but then so would Muhich. All those cities have big Christmas markets, and they are wonderful to visit.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM

We left from Christmas dinner and went directly to the airport, arrived in Milan on the 26th, train to Venice for a few days and then on to Florence for New Years.

We had a great time in both places- all the Christmas decorations (tasteful and elegant as stated above) were still out, things felt festive, and the weather was cold, but not too cold.

Venice looked gorgeous in winter with shreds of fog drifting mysteriously over the bridges. The crowds were small, people were friendly, the canals did not smell- it was a wonderful time to see Venice.

(Unfortunatly, I have no idea if things were open on Christmas day, but we had no trouble finding restaurants, concerts, etc in the days following Christmas.)

On to Florence where the weather was very nice, up to the 50s at mid-day in the sun. I enjoyed the art and the food, but thought that Florence probably looks much more beautiful in the spring and summer. It was a bit dreary and gray. The Christmas lights added some cheer, as did the wine and the delightful hot soups offered as starters in all the restaurants. I fell in love with tortollini en brodo on this trip.

New Year's Eve in Florence was a blast. We didn't have restaurant reservations (which are apparently a necessity as everyone goes out for long New Year's dinners.) The owner of our hotel sent us out super early (for Italy- about 7:00)to help us get a table, so we were seated but told that we had to finish by 9:00. No problem! We were glad to get in, especially when we watched couple after couple try to get in without reservations starting around 8:00, only to be turned away because the crowd would arrive at 9:00.

We had a wonderful meal, including the traditional New Year's stuffed pig's leg and lentils for luck (can't remember the name). We then wandered the city, stopping for prosecco or coffee every so often. It seemed that the entire city was either in a restaurant or out on the street that night. It was intense!

Residents were shooting huge fireworks off of apartment building roofs and balconies. Huge crowds were singing and walking, carrying wine bottles and paper cups. The tradition seemed to be that you finish a bottle and then shatter it on the pavement, because there was glass everywhere. (Somehow, they had cleaned it all up by around 10:00 the next morning when we emerged to find caffeine.)

We stumbled upon a symphony from Russia playing waltzes in a square. The performance was being filmed for TV, and the hosts seemed to be well-known comedians judging from the crowds' reaction. We stayed, waltzed (badly), shared a drink with the people around us, wished everyone Buon Anno! and went home to bed around 2:00. It was a memorable night full of great experiences entirely due to dumb luck or serendipity.

We then left to spend a few days in Bologna, where it was freezing, but the incredible beauty of the place and the amazing food made this our favorite spot.

Some of my favorite things about Italy in the winter:
the many dogs wearing fashionable coats (Burberry!)
the wonderfully cute kids' winter outfits including matching hats, mittens, etc.
The ability to eat huge piles of rich food, washed down with intense red wines, without falling asleep immediately. We walked it all off in the bracing air.

So..although I love Paris, I vote for Italy for a Christmas trip. Now you have me wanting to go back!
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:57 PM

I was in Salzburg last December and couldn't believe all the elegent Italian women in extremely high-end furs.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM

Don;t know what you mean by cold but not freezing. If you mean literally not freezing - that is you want a guarantee that temps will not be in the 30's - you're going to be limited pretty much to very southern areas - since freezing and even snow can occur as far south as Rome and Madrid at times. (Don;t misunderstand me - they're not usually so cold - but easily can be.)

And while London, Paris etc probably will not be 32 - more likely in the 40's - freezing is certainly possible - and there's no way to know until very shortly beforehand.

So you're probably looking at southern Spain, Crete, Greece if guaranteed warm (for winter) temps are important to you.

(I would go in a completely different direction. To me Christmas memories require lots of snow, freezing temps, hot toddies and hot chocolate - whether it's a city or counryside or alps. If I wanted warmer weather I would head for the Caribbean.)