Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to celebrate the turn of the century?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 10:18 PM
min

2 years ago I saw the new year in, in Florence. I was really disappointed There were no fireworks or big public countdown to build up the moment. Revellers on the streets looked like they were on their way to somewhere. For visitors who didn't have any plans or party to go to, there was not much to participate in. There was a crowd gathering in a particular spot, so we waited & waited thinking something was about to happen. As it turns out, it was a busker rendering Elton John! We ended up in an Irish pub & joined in the countdown there. <BR> <BR>This New Year, I'll be in Europe again but thought I should do some investigations so as not to feel left out, especially as it will mark a new era.... <BR> <BR>I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on good places to spend New Year's & why you would chose that place. It doesn't have to be in Europe.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 02:48 PM
Sheila

The biggest party in the world will be in Edinburgh, Scotland. <BR> <BR>They've been praticing for the last few years and the deal is that all of Princes Street and the gardens are turned over to a riotous party. There's music and fireworks and tens of thousand of people. I haven't looked but they're bound to havea web site. <BR> <BR>The pubs are great and will be open all night. And after all, it was scotland that invented New Year. Where else would you go?

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 12:30 PM
anne

I agree - Hogmany (New Years) in Edinburgh was a super experience a couple of years ago - should be unbeatable this year! <BR>

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 02:24 PM
Mary

My guess is that no matter where you will this this New Year's Eve it should be lively. We spent this past New Year in Nice. I guess there is some good luck associated with eating oysters, because EVERY restaurant/deli/etc. had fresh oysters on ice. We did like most people do here in the states...dinner, etc. and then down to the Promenade des Anglais for the midnight fireworks. Was lots of fun.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 10:44 PM
Ray

I would suggest that you can't go past Vienna! I had the good fortune to spend New Year's Eve there in both '96 and '97 (and with a bit of luck will be there '99)and can't imagine anywhere better to be at the turn of the century.