Where to celebrate at son's homecoming from Afghanistan in Vicenza, Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son's army unit will be returning to Vicenza, Italy from Afghanistan next month. We will be there when the unit returns - woo-hoo!!! Am looking for suggestions on where to host a celebratory dinner -- either in Vicenza or nearby. We don't mind the cost. Our only criteria is that it be great food and hopefully a great atmosphere. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
ira

Hi OT,

Can't help, but congratulations on having your son home safe.

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have no suggestions but warm congratulations to a lucky mother to get her son back safely.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM

Maybe this thread offers a good possibility:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34709778
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM

Try Da Remo in Vicenza...close to the military base, owned by a charming and hospitable family...very good food and lovely atmosphere.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:55 PM

Hello OT,

Congratulations on this wonderful homecoming! Please express my heartfelt thanks and blessings to your son and his Army unit.

A good friend of mine (who I'm seeing in the morning) lived in Vicenza for several years while her husband was in the service. I will pose this question to her. Certainly she knows of a wonderful place for your celebration.

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM

You don't indicate whether your son is posted with the Canadian or US army -- but from your Oklahoma reference I take it you are American.

Canadian Fodorites wish those Americans stationed alongside our men and women "a safe return".
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:57 PM

tedgale, my son just returned from Iraq while in the US Army (and luckily we were able to welcome him back in Germany). Your post brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations, OK Traveler! Enjoy him!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:55 PM

I just wanted to pass along my congratulations and a big thank you to your son. May you all have a safe trip!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:59 PM

I know nothing about Vicenza, but I wanted to thank your son and you and the rest of his family for his service.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM

Hello Oklahoma_Traveler, first of all I would like to say a big thank you to your son and to all of you for the sacrifices you have all made.

How excited you will be to see your son..I can only imagine.

It certainly does not mean that there are not other restaurants that would be perfect for your celebration dinner and no doubt there are..and hopefully someone here will be able to advise you but in the meantime..

About 32 miles from Vicenza is the small city of Asolo. The Villa Cipriani is in Asolo. Their restaurant is considered "quite special" but must add also very expensive. Atmosphere you will have and Veneto is celebrated for the good food.

But it might be to "formal" for your son. Something I was thinking of is that when I have had relatives come home from the battle field they often seemed to want a no stress relaxed atmosphere rather than a formal fussy one. As thrilled as they are to get back to a noncombat area it seems as though they need time to chill out and destress. But you know your dear son best of course.

One possibility..can you wait until you arrive in Vicenza and then check out restaurants there yourself or ask others there for their recommendations. That is what I would be inclined to do.

Have a beautiful reunion..and again so many thanks to your son and your family. And wasn't Tedgales post beautiful..he is always such a true gentleman.

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:00 PM

A big happy welcome home to your son (and his unit)and congratulations to you!
Sending heartfelt Thanks and Good Wishes from this family

I would imagine the atmosphere is going to be great regardless of where you go
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:59 PM

Dear Oklahoma_Traveler, Many thanks from us to your son and your family. I only wish I could offer you a nice suggestion for your reunion. May your time together be wonderful. How excited you must be to see him again.

Please convey to him how grateful we all are, Best wishes, Tiff
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Oh my gosh! I never expected to open up this website and be brought to tears this a.m. -- GOOD tears! Thank you all for the heartfelt warm wishes. I will pass them all on to my son.

I think what I learned this a.m. is that it really WON'T matter where we eat. It only matters that we are ALL at the same table!

Again, thank you Fodorites for making a mom's day!!!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 05:27 AM

I'm joining in on a great big THANK YOU to your son and his unit. I think you got it right. Doesn't hardly matter where you eat. I bet it will all taste fantastic.