Reload this Page >

Where to buy train tickets in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Jana

We are planning on buying point-to-point train tickets (for Eurostar) once we get to Rome (for all our train trips during our 2 weeks in Italy). Can we buy tickets in Rome for say our trip from Florence to Venice or do we have to get it in Florence? Where would be the best place to buy the tickets - cheapest & most convenient? At the main train station in Rome, at American Express office (do we need an Amex card?), travel agency? Hope you can help!

Old May 17th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Carey

Jana, <BR> <BR>You can buy your tickets when you get to the train station. There is really no need to buy them in advance. However, you may want to think of a Eurail Pass. You can buy them for specific amounts of days, and each day is worth unlimited travel via train. you can go on their website to find out any information on individual point to point ticket prices, as well as the passes.

Old May 17th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Hans

Jana: The previous post is absolutely correct however one thing you might want to consider is to purchase as many of your tickets now over the internet with Rail Europe. If your dates and times are not likely to change this can save you a considerable amount of time standing in lines and having to deal with the frustrating situations that ineveitably happen at Italian train stations. We bought all but one ticket (Venice to Salzburg) from Rail Europe and it was fantastic as we were even able to get seat reservations ahead of time. The one time we did have to wait for tickets (the Venice to Salzburg leg) we had to go to three different windows (two of which shut down while we are line for breaks) and then, only after 1 1/2 hrs. in lines, did we get our tickets. Just an idea, but may be one worth thinking about. Have a good trip.

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Cecilie

I just got back from Italy and we bought point-to-point tickets. For the amount of travel we were doing, we did not need a rail pass. Also, we bought all of our tickets at one time in the main Rome train station. They have these great automated booths that you can use. It allows you to select your language preference, reserve seats, view schedules, etc. We found that a lot more convienent than buying from a window or travel agent. It was also less expensive. You could buy over the internet but then you have to know the exact time that you wanted to travel. Good luck!

Old May 17th, 2001, 02:50 PM
rlk

Jana: <BR> <BR>Point-to-point tickets are easily purchased at any train station in Italy for travel between any locations (meaning, yes, you can buy your tickets in Rome for your Florence to Venice trip). OR, if it's convenient, you can choose to go to an AMEX office or a travel agency in Italy & purchase your tickets there. You can ask at your hotel to direct you to either if you wish to buy your tickets there versus rail station. No, don't need an AMEX card to use their services. I don't think there's an addl surcharge -- I've always bought my tickets at the train station, so not sure. <BR> <BR>You can buy your tickets on day of departure, however I strongly suggest you make your purchases ahead as you'll be traveling on the EuroStar & you'll need seat reservations. Everybody's got to have a seat on the ES (rather than other trains in which you may find yourself standing) -- consequently the more popular routes during high season may sell out & so, best not to wait until day of travel. Do note that when I say "buy ahead", only need to do so by a few days.