Notices

Where to buy teapots in London?

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 06:27 PM
DeeInLB

Where to buy teapots in London?

Where is a good place to buy novelty teapots in or around London? I have a collection of about 50 teapots in various shapes, such as a turtle, a birthday cake, etc. London seems like the perfect place to shop for them, so I thought I'd see if any of you had recommendations. Thanks! (My husband and I leave in less than three weeks... yippee!!)

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 06:49 PM
Rex

True collectors and afficionados (I am neither one) might scoff at this rather simple suggestion, but at Covent Garden (and at Heathrow - - and possibly other locations), there is a jam-packed shop called the Reject China Shop that will surely coax a purchase or two out of you. The flaws range from subtle to imperceptible, as I recall.

And I feel sure that you will want to go bargain hunting in the shops and market(s) of Portobello Road. Take the tube to Notting Hill Gate or Ladbrook Grove.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 07:06 PM
Mel

DeeInLB: Although you can, of course, find teapots everywhere, if you're looking for a nice quality teapot, check out Whittards (several locations) or Fortnum & Mason (Piccadilly). If you want something that advertises "London," Harrods sells a couple of sizes in Harrods green, white or navy (all with gold lettering). If you go for the Harrods, consider picking it up at Heathrow on your way out of the UK. Save yourself the 17% VAT.
FYI, Reject China has shops all over London and they don't just sell seconds, but overstocks and discontinued items, as well. There's one on Old Brompton Road opposite the V&A.
Portobello Road Market IS a wonderful place to look for teapots, but NOT for bargains--go there for special antique or silver pots you can't find anywhere else, but be ready to pay the price. Get there around 8:00am on Saturday morning and you'll really enjoy poking through the stalls and shops.
Finally, consider purchasing from any of the museum gift shops.

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 07:17 PM
Rex

I failed to follow my (usual) own advice, and do a little bit of simple inmternet searching before posting my initial answer. Indeed there are no fewer than 4 or 5 locations for Reject China, including in Windsor.

And here's a nice listing of other china and porcelain sources thorought the British Isles:

http://www.royal-crown-derby.co.uk/st_uk.html

(though they list only the Regent Street location for Reject China, and not Whittards at all).

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 07:29 PM
Mel

Rex: Whittards is NOT a Reject China location, it's a very old and established London tea importer.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:24 AM
Sheila

I love my teapot that I got at the shop you go in as you leave Shakespeare's home in Stratford. It is made to resemble Shakespeare's home and brings back great memories of my trip.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:54 AM
Nigel Doran

Try Bodum on Neal Street, the road just opposite Covent Garden Tube station heading for Shaftesbury Avenue.

It sells modern, glass-based Danish teapots and other kitchenware. They currently have a sale of 1.5 litre clear glass teapots with built-in strainters.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 11:53 AM
Shelley

Mel mentioned shopping at the duty free at the airport to avoid the VAT at Harrod's. FYI: As an American, if I show them my passport at Harrod's, I pay no VAT! I would assume that would work for other nationalities as well. Imagine saving over 17%! Instant sale!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:14 PM
wes fowler

In addition to the street markets, Brick Lane, Chapel, Church Street, and of course Wedgwood at 173 Piccadilly, consider a visit to the Bramah Tea and Coffee Museum in the Clove Building, Maguire Street, Butlers Wharf to view its huge collection of tea and coffee pots,tea caddies and to indulge in some samples of tea.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:29 PM
Linda

Harrods has a small, but excellent, collection, at reasonable prices. They have a cute one that looks like a table set for tea, some that look like buildings, etc. I bought mine there and told them I would be handcarrying it on a plane back to the States. They did a really good job packing it and it arrived intact.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:42 PM
lent

I got mine at Harrods because I knew I wanted a teapot and I knew I wanted to make a purchase at Harrods! They had a huge variety at very reasonable prices.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:57 PM
DeeInLB

Thank you for all these wonderful responses! I've already checked out a couple of your suggestions online. And conveniently, we're staying in Kensington, fairly near Harrods, so I'll certainly have to make a trip or two over there. Now, how can I keep my husband occupied while I shop?!?!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:01 PM
DeeInLB

P.S. Thanks, Shelley, for the tip on showing your passport at Harrods!! I'll definitely try that. We're Americans, too, (even worse: Californians)!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:35 PM
Rex

to mel - - I guess that my phrasing led to confusion, which I regret.

The website I cited lists many different china stores. What I meant to say is that it does not list the various Reject China shop locations other than Regent Street - - and, on another note, it does not list Whittards, either.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:17 PM
janis

A clarification Re VAT. You can't get a refund simply by "showing your passport". If a merchant participates in the VAT refund scheme they usually have a minimim amount before you qualify. Last year Harrod's minimum was £50. It could be higher or lower now. Liberty's minimum was £75. The refund will be processed at the Airport as you leave the country. If you want an "instant" refund, the shop will have to send the merchandise out of the country (a good idea for fragile things like teapots since they insure it and you don't have to fit into your luggage). The Shipping is fairly expensive but the VAT will pay a large portion of it.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:38 PM
teapot

Lent?
Dear lent, how are your feet?
Ma Kettle

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Shelley

Here is a clarification on the VAT at Harrods. The clerk told us that Harrods has a refund office in their basement. Take your receipt(s) and passport down to the basement and get the VAT refund. So much easier than dealing with it at the airport! She did not mention a minimun purchase to get the refund. But, as we did not have our passports with us, and we did not have time to go get them before checking out of our hotel to leave, we did not get the VAT. Next time, however, you can bet I will carry my passport into Harrods!