Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to buy religious goods/jewelry in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:02 PM
Melissa

My husband and I are going to Italy in September. We are staying in Rome, Florence and Venice, with day trips to Assisi, Siena, San Gimignano, and Padua. <BR>We are hoping to buy christening gowns for our future children(we hope!) to have as family heirlooms. I also would like to buy a simple piece of jewelry (plain gold earrings or a ring maybe) to commemorate our trip.<BR>DO any of you fodorites have any ideas where the best places would be to purchase these items?<BR>Thanks in advance for any responses!

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:09 PM
chris

In Rome, the area between the Pantheon and the Largo Argentina has several religious goods shops selling beautiful items. However, you will probably be able to find beautiful christening gowns in most any shop that sells infants clothing.

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:25 PM
Book Chick

Hi Melissa,<BR>There are wonderful places to find christening gowns. I got one for my nephew & the baby of a friend right in a shop in Piazza San Marco. It had a lot of lace & embroidery done by hand on it & my sister-in-law is keeping it as a family heirloom.<BR><BR>For religious articles & even a little jewelry, I would recommend a store called "Mondo Cattolico" in Rome. It's right where Vatican City meets Rome (as they are two separate entities) on a street called Pope Pious XII.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:18 AM
Byrd

Book Chick--Do you remember the name of the San Marco shop? (Another grandchild is due in the fall!!)Thanks, Byrd

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 06:20 AM
rb

The name of the street near the Pantheon is Via dei Cestari-If you are facing the Pantheon it is on the left side. Walk down the street and you will find many stores that have religious objects as well as religious garb-clothing for the clergy. And of course there is always the Vatican City.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 09:41 AM
Sara

Go to the source. You can buy a variety of religious items in Vatican City. There's a shop just outside of St. Peter's Basilica (before you walk in door, it's off to the right). OR if you take the elevator up to the cupola (before the trek up the 300-something steps to top), there's a shop on this level. Both stores are run by nuns. If they don't have christening gowns there, I'm sure the sisters could provide good suggestions on where to go for them.<BR>