Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where to buy euro in Rome - airport or ...

Apr 9th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

We will be arriving at the airport and then traveling to our hotel (Smeraldo) in Rome central on a Friday. Where would the best/most convenient place to find an ATM? We are not bringing euro with us so will need to find one soon! Thanks.
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:40 AM
dgg

There are ATM machines in the terminal, outside the baggage claim/customs/immigration area of the airport. You can pick up Euros there.
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:32 AM

I'm confused why you wouldn't want to have some euros with you when you land?
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Some people don't feel the need to get some Euro in the States before they depart. You can get them at the airport when you arrive. If the ATM is down, your taxi will normally take credit cards -- if not, he will take you by an ATM on your way to the hotel. If you are heading into the city by train, use your credit card to purchase your ticket. Lots of options.
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:37 AM
ira

Hi J,

There are ATM machines at the airport.

Many folks change about $100 into Euro at the departure airport to avoid having to find an ATM upon arrival.

It will cost about $4 more than getting them at FCO.

Apr 9th, 2007, 07:01 AM

We brought some Euros with us -- I'm too tired when we land to want to have to find an ATM at the airport -- and I was glad we did. The line to use the one ATM I saw in the Rome airport was pretty long. We got cash from an ATM in Rome on Friday, but on Sunday, we tried half a dozen ATMs before finding one that worked. We did see ATMs all over and were much more successful on Monday.
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:30 PM

If you turn right from the hotel entrance, walk up to Largo Argentina and turn left so you are facing via Vittorio Emanuele. There is an ATM on the left (west) next door to a tobacconist. I also do not take euro with me and stop at the first ATM in the airport. ATMs are as abundant there as they are here. Make sure your bank knows you are using your card outside the U.S.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM

There are also two money exchange places on the way to baggage claim, you can't miss them. I exchanged a few hundred US on arrival and then used ATM's the rest of the time.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:53 PM

If using the Leonardo Express train from the airport to the Termini,you can buy tickets from machines or at ticket windows with a credit card.