Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to buy bank check or Travellers Checks in Euros?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's a lousy rate of exchange.

I need to send Euros to a company in Venice that shipped a package to me. Because there is some disagreement on the original quote to me( 40-50 Euros and now told its 130 Euros)...I don't want to give them my credit card number. I've already received the goods.

Any suggestions on the easiest/cheapest way to send 50 Euros?

Thanks
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:51 AM
ira

Hi Dick,

American express will sell you Euro traveler's checks which you can make out to them.

With respect to giving them a credit card number: You could fax or email them an authorization for a specific amount. Keep the email or fax.

If there is a discrepany in the charge, you will have your authorization with which to dispute it.

You could also inform your CC company of the amount of the charge and tell them not to honor any greater amount.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:00 AM
ron

It would really be helpful to know where you are. For me it would be easy; I would go down the street to Accu-Rate Currency exchange and buy a euro cheque drawn on an Italian bank. The exchange rate would be competitive (I have done it for euro cheques to France and sterling cheques to the UK), and there would be no service charge. But perhaps that service is not available where you live.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

I'm in suburban Washington, DC.

In adddition to trying AMEX, perhaps there is an Italian bank located in DC.

Thanks
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:11 AM

Dick: You can go to Ruesch International in downtown DC and have them make out and send a draft in euros. Cost should be about $5.00. Telephone no. is 202-408-1200.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

StCirq,

I thought you had the perfect solution. I called them and they only work with customers that expect to order a minimum of $10,000 over the course of the year. Thanks, though.

Travellers checks...looking better
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:43 AM

Rats. Try calling Capital Exchange - also in DC, on 13th St., I believe.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:48 AM

If you are a member of AAA, you can obtain travelers checks in Euros throught any of their offices.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 09:23 AM

Dick, I live in DC, and Travelex does this. They have an office in Union Station and one around K or L and 18th. I think they charge a flat $15 to have a check made in euro, in addition to the rate difference which is not that good. They have an account in an Italian bank; I know because once I had them make me a check in francs and it was on an Italian bank for some reason.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 09:38 AM

I would use my credit card - even with the disagreement. You would have insurance in the form of the credit card company clearing disputed charges from your account. Presumably you have something in writing from the merchant saying how much you owe. if they charge you more simply dispute it w/ the credit card co,

Using travelers checks will cost a little more and is the same as sending cash in the mail - not a good idea. Sure they will replace them if they are lost - but there will be a hassle.

and a check drawn in any foreign curreny will set you back between $20 and $30 when you include the exchange rate and the banks check fee.

Your credit card is the cheapest, safest and easiest way to do it.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Intrepid

I agree with using the credit card with its built-in fraud protection and authorizing in advance through the card issuer an upper limit.

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:32 AM

Irishdame- I went to my local AAA office in Southern California 2 weeks ago and they told me they only issue travelers checks in U.S. currency...
So...
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

I just called my local AAA and they issue Travelers Checks in Euros.

I am reluctant to give this shipper my credit card info. I was told by the shop owner that shipping would be 40-50 Euros. He took our purchase to an independent shipper who wants us to pay 130 Euros.

Since we already recieved our purchases, I figure that I can save a lot of hassle by not giving our my credit card number.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 12:35 PM
ira

Hey Dick,

Since you already have your goods, and you paid the agreed upon price, why are you willing to give the shipper more money?

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Although I paid the store for our purchases...I haven't given the shipper any money.

Our purchases arrived with an invoice from the shipper for the shipper.

I told the store owner that I am willing to pay 50 Euros( the high end of the shipping estimate)....but not any additional.

Since I have the goods and they don't have my credit card number, I don't really have to worry about being overcharged.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 01:01 PM

A couple of years ago I bought a limited edition print at the Original London Print Show in the Royal Academy. The dealer did not accept credit cards but told me to take the print and to send him a check in dollars at the current exchange rate when I got home. I had never done business with the dealer before and the print was 350 pounds. Incidentally, I am not a dealer, it was a personal purchase.

Why not tell the company in Venice you are sending a check in dollars and let them convert it? They should do so if they want the business.