Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to Buy Affordable Scarves in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-buy-affordable-scarves-in-paris-1046536/)

chutney May 27th, 2015 02:12 PM

Where to Buy Affordable Scarves in Paris

I searched for suggestions on where to buy scarves in Paris, but posts are very old.
I will be visiting Paris in September with my sisters and Mother. Everyone seems to want scarves. I know to check out the department stores, but was wondering if anyone has run across boutique or specialty shop that carry a nice mix of scarves.

Thanks!

Tibor08 May 27th, 2015 02:17 PM

You can buy it every corner, everywhere...

janisj May 27th, 2015 02:23 PM

Good ones, cheap ones, any sort, scarves will be EVERYWHERE . . . street corners, shops, museum gift shops . . . just everywhere.

cigalechanta May 27th, 2015 02:24 PM

even some f.lea markets have new ones

2010 May 27th, 2015 02:27 PM

I often go into Diwali when in Paris. There are various locations throughout the city.

www.diwali-paris.com

Underhill May 27th, 2015 02:44 PM

There are often scarf vendors outside the big department stores. I got a very nice one by Galeries Lafayette.

socaltraveler May 27th, 2015 03:19 PM

And I bought some very nice scarves IN the Galleries Lafayette.

chutney May 27th, 2015 04:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies

janisj May 27th, 2015 04:23 PM

Meant to add -- don't buy the first ones you see unless they are super special You will see the same ones and tons of others everywhere you go. so you can be selective and wait til you know which sorts you like best.

kagoo May 27th, 2015 06:58 PM

Monoprix.

Barb_in_Ga May 27th, 2015 08:51 PM

My favorite scarves were purchased on rue de Rivoli on the way from the louvre to Angelina's, but I don't remember the name of the shop.
Barb

kerouac May 27th, 2015 09:42 PM

The souvenir shops all have hundreds of perfectly nice extremely cheap scarves. Don't expect them to be made in France, though. But that's the difference between paying 10 euros or 200 euros.

Christina May 28th, 2015 08:44 AM

I guess it depends how special you want, there are tons of cheap synthetic scarves for sale all over, as noted. Often made in India, I believe, just like the ones you get in other major cities in Europe or on New York street corners. If they want something special, I do think Diwali isn't a bad idea, or any dept store (or the vendors outside GL). Personally, I think MOnoprix has a very bad selection and they are extremely overpriced there. There are lots of vendors around the center, Notre Dame, the quais etc.

Some of the souvenir shops will have polyester synthetic ones with pictures of Impressionist paintings or something like that (like the ones on rue de Rivoli).

Gretchen May 28th, 2015 08:47 AM

Our daughter said it so well--"Paris is so neat--when you want to buy meat you go to the butcher shop. When you want to buy stationery you go to the stationery shop. When you want to buy a scarf, you go to the scarf shop". We did happen to be at a real scarf shop somewhere!! But yes, anywhere and everywhere!!

CJT0427 May 28th, 2015 09:55 AM

I bought a beautiful silk scarf for 15 euros at the Opera metro station and another at one at the Place Monge open air market for 20 euros. You can hardly turn around in Paris without bumping into someone selling scarves.

welltraveledbrit May 28th, 2015 09:57 AM

I admired a scarf on a friend the other day and it was from Monoprix, it looked great with her Marni tunic, it's all about mixing high and low!

powhatangal May 28th, 2015 05:27 PM

The outdoor markets will have vendors selling scarves. I've bought them there as well as at Galeries LaFayette (their brand). There's also a shop on the Isle St. Louis (main shopping street) that has scarves displayed on a banister that has a great selection and they are 10€ each. I mostly prefer all cotton scarves. Viscose is also nice.

chutney May 28th, 2015 06:20 PM

Everyone has been so generous with their advise. We will definetily check out Diwali and the stalls outside the department stores. I bought a gorgeous scarf at Bon Marche a couple years ago, but it was 200EU. Not sure if my sisters are willing to spend that much. It was expensive, but I will have that scarf forever. I'm interested to see the quality difference.
I follow a blog that suggested another shop that I'm going to check out. It's called Couleurs and Cashemire. That's what started this whole discussion with my sisters! I have no clue what the price range is, but the blogger said "reasonably priced".

chutney May 28th, 2015 06:21 PM

I forgot to mention that blogger also suggested Monoprix. Seems to be mixed opinions on that.

AlysonRR May 29th, 2015 12:37 AM

My daughter and I spent a happy time browsing in Diwali and chose scarves we wear often. The saleswomen were low-pressure and helpful and they showed us a wrap pattern we weren't familiar with even though we both wear scarves frequently and have multiple wrap patterns in our repertoire. Fun!

Enjoy shopping with your sisters, but don't stress too much about finding the right thing for them - they'll find something to inspire them :-)