WHERE TO BUY A UK SIM CARD

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologies for a possible double-post. I posted first to Europe meaning to post to UK

It would cost me approx 49.00 to purchase a UK Sim card from a company like Cellular World. Am I correct in assuming that it will cost much less if I buy one when I get to London?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:51 PM

Walk down any high street in the UK and you'll find a sim card - but like I said elsewhere check the deal on the call prices
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Try www.easymobile.com which has best rates of most any UK cell operator (it is a sister company to EasyJet).
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:35 AM

I am pretty sure you can still buy a Virgin mobile 'pay as you go' sim card for £5, from any virgin store in the UK.
Just add the credit you want at the same store.
Muck
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:15 AM

I was recommended to a company called L8shop.net....

They sell all UK sim cards...like a Virgin Mobile sim card is £3.95 (compared to £10 in the UK) and they ship to the USA (and other countries too) although the shipping fee, £6.95, is relatively high but a far cry from what rip off artists such as telestial and cellular world charge you and of course if you get 2 or 3, it becomes very economical.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I'd suggest waiting until you get to London.

There are many outlets where you can pick up a sim card for a decent price.

The Carphone Warehouse has a good reputation. Have a look at www.carphonewarehouse.com for locations and prices.

I believe you'll be able to pick up a sim card instore from about £5. Some of the slightly more expensive cards/networks also include air time on the card to get you started.

Do ensure you'll be able to use your phone out here though. I'm not familiar with services in the US but you may have some challenges in using your phone. This depends on whether your phone is a)locked and b)frequency used.

Frenquency I have no knowledge of - thus sorry, gonna have to pass that on to someone with more knowledge.

However if your phone is locked ie. Your service provider has barred the phone from being used with other sim cards it is as simple as heading over to a company or shop that can unlock the phone for you and thus enable it to be used with any sim card.

Try having it unlocked before you come, I suspect its cheaper to have it done at home.

If that doesn't help there's a great little store in China Town that will sort it out for between £10 to £20 (most places will try to rip you off... including this particular shop, but with the right kind of charm they'll give you some good discounts).
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:06 AM

I got a brand-new, factory-sealed Virgin SIM with £5 credit on it for about $3 on eBay.