Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to be on Bastille Day? Toulouse or Villefranche de Rouergue?

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

We'd love to find a village around either of these places that has a celebration where everyone is welcome to join in the community picnic. Anyone with an idea?
Thanks in advance. Mary
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:37 PM

I am not familiar with either of those places, but we have always been welcomed at any of the village celebrations we have attended for the 14th of July.

We've been in Bourg d'oisans a tiny village in the Alps and shared in the wonderful village fete of Giant Paella with tables set up on the roads which were closed to traffic. We sat with a lovely Belgian couple who shared their wine with us as we chatted about enjoying France. There was music on outdoor stages and dancing in the streets. We had a grand time.

We have also enjoyed the fete in several other villages and all have been wonderful, with music, dancing and fireworks, but Bourg d'Oisans is one of my favorite places in France so that one sticks out in my mind.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Sorry I hit submit before I was finished.

I meant to include that whereever you are, you are bound to find a great time on the 14th of July, even in the smallest village and perhaps the best time is to be found not in the larger cities but in the small village. I know that people in the small villages of France have always gone out of their way to make my DH and I feel welcome. It's especially an honor to be invited to share a national holiday with newfound friends. It's our way of showing our love for France.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, celticharper.....that's exactly what we're looking for in the midi-pyrenees..Mary
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM

I think I would choose Villefranche-de-Rouergue as I really like that town, and I'd personally rather be in a town than a city for the fête nationale. The town and village celebrations are lots of fun and there is ample opportunity, usually, to mingle with the locals.

Not every village has a celebration, though. In the Périgord, and other parts of France, the celebration moves from year to year within a certain area, so one year it will be in one village and the next in another. There will be no dearth of posters letting you know where to go, though.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, StCirq,...I hoped you'd come through with a suggestion! Mary