Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to base ourselves for a few days with a car so we can go to Positano etc. by public transport?

Search

Where to base ourselves for a few days with a car so we can go to Positano etc. by public transport?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Rome next April/May and want to drive a car to a central location to spend a few days visiting the Amalfi coast,Capri and Pompeii. Can anyone suggest a smaller town in the area and perhaps a B&B where we could stay and go out and about the area on buses or driving. We don't really want to drive on the coastal roads.
Thanks Rosie
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Why do you feel you need a car at all ? You don't need one for any of the locations you've mentioned.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:03 AM
bellastarr

Since you want to rent a car, but don't want to drive the coastal roads, and you mention wanting to visit Capri, and Pompeii, I think you should look for a B and B in or near Sorrento, - because it gives you most options for Public transportation to all of your locations. From there, you can easily reach Pompeii by Circumsuviana (commuter train) and also get a ferry or hydrofoil to Capri. Sita buses will also take you to the Amalfi Coast and to the Sorrentine Pernninsula. Take care to check bus schedules so you don't get "stuck" along the Amalfi Coast after the last bus leaves for Sorrento in the evening (I can imagine a worse fate!) For specific recommendations, there are many threads on that subject here on this forum- try a search and something will turn up that suits you- One last thing- if you bring a car- be sure to find a place to stay that has it's own parking- Parking can be a bit of a hassle in that area... Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bellastarr!
We will have a lease car and don't want to give it up and rehire. Is the road into Sorrento OK? My husband likes to drive but I'd rather he could relax and enjoy the scenery.
Rosie
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:18 AM
ira

Hi R,

Ditto both CE and Bella.

What's your Italian itinerary? Perhaps you can lease your car later.

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

ira

We are thinking of leasing the car from Paris through to Italy and Switzerland and back to France for about 32 days..it would seem cheaper and easier to park it for a few days while in the big cities rather than do multiple hirings which adds time, cost and hassles!
We get so many different views of driving the coastal roads....it's difficult to get the real picture. There sure are a lot of posts on the subject! We will be visiting Cinque Terra so perhaps we should give the Amalfi area a miss this trip.

Rosie
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi Rosie,

>We are thinking of leasing the car from Paris ...<

Aha.

If anything, I would skip the CT in favor of the AC.

In late April/early May the AC won't be particularly crowded.

Driving the Coast Road isn't that bad. It's just that it is narrow and winding, so that the driver has to concentrate on the road and the traffic rather than the scenery.

One advantage to a car is that you can get up into the hills more easily than by bus.

See www.viamichelin.com

Remember, if you drive in Switzerland you need a vignette (road tax sticker).

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:59 AM

I have driven the Amalfi Coast road in both directions 5 times and wouldn't do it any other way. Yes, it is narrow and winding but you can stop along the way pretty much at will to enjoy views, take pictures, etc. Can't do that with a bus.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ira.
We think we will give the AC a go and try to find a B&B with some access to parking.
As usual thanks for the input!
Rosie O
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Basingstoke!
Your confidence has inspired us!
Rosie
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 02:58 AM
bellastarr

Hi Rosie-
I have driven the AC road quite often and in all kinds of weather,
I love the drive-to me it's glorious. It takes some getting used to the curves and the "squeeze" that can happen when a bus has to round a cotner and the cars going on the other direction sometimes have to wait and/or even back up to let it through. The buses always use sound a horn to let you know they're coming on the hairpins. You need talent to find and grab parking places around the towns.Remember, you be completing with local residents for these.
There is a parking garage in Positano-convenient and naturally expensive.
There are several spots stop and and enjoy the fabulous views-my best suggestion is to drive the road once without stipping so you can see approximately where these are- then it's easier to pull over the second time.
Another tip-if you drive, and go up to Ravello- there is a big parking lot behind the town-you can leave your car there and access the piazza by stairs.With luck-you might hit it on Market day and be able to buy some delicious picnic stuffs!
Another tip= there are sometimes mudslides that may close the coast road for awhile- this happened once during one of my visits- there are alternative routes over the mountains between the AC and Sorrento, either for the busses or for a car, so dont't worry!

As to your question about the road into Sorrento ftom Rome- that part is, to me, more stressful than the AC coast road by far! The stretch from Naples to SOrrento requires steady nerves and concentration,
Have a fone trip, wherever you end up staying!!

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Can anyone tell me how long it will take us to drive from Naples airport to Positano?
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Hmmm ! From 1 hour to 2 hours depending on time of day and time of year. See viamichelin.com
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:50 AM

Thank you bobthenavigator we really love to drive in Italy, I'm just not sure re need a car for this trip.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:53 AM

Can you get a reasonable taxi to Positano from Naples Airport? I just hate trains. I know we can rent a car or scooters in Positano for local stuff and taxi to Ferry to Capri and back. Just don't think we need a car for the full 10 days. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 02:29 AM
ira

Hi KB,

>Can you get a reasonable taxi to Positano from Naples Airport? <

It will be about 100 - 125E.

There is bus service: http://www.curreriviaggi.it/
although I'm not sure if it goes beyond Sorrento.

If not, you can transfer to the SiTA bus.

For limo service, We were pleased with Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo)
www.cuomonet.it

Also consider Francesco. He has started his own business. He might give you a better price. http://www.francescomarrapese.com/