Where to Base in Andalucia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into Malaga and have a week to spend in Andalucia. Since we're traveling with our kids (ages 5 and 6), we'd like to stay in one place for the week, and do a few day trips from there. We'll have a car.

Would Nerja be a good place to stay as our base? On the plus side, there's the town center, El Balcon de Europe, the caves, and a beach.

However, it sounds like it's a big holiday spot for the British, and may be too touristy.

We'll be in Spain the first week of October. We don't need a beach... and would like to spend some time in a town or city, as have some time just hanging out experiencing spain (tapas, markets, playgrounds).

Would Nerja fit the bill? Or is there some other town that we should consider?

Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:07 AM

Consider Sevilla! The reason for this is Sevilla's Bienal de Flamenco will be happening then, and venues for the performances/competitions are places like Theaters and la Maestranza Plaza de Toros; so even your children could get to see some of the music & dance.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Susan

Having spent many summer holidays in Nerja, I would highly recommend it. Its only one hours drive from Malaga, has a lovely town center, loads of lovely reasonable restaurants, burriana beach is gorgeous, and you can travel to Rhonda, Granada, Frigiliana,Marbella, and Sierra Nevada quite easily from Nerja. Its true there are a lot of English,Irish,German,etc tourists there, but I dont have a problem with that, lots of the Spanish people come from other area's of spain to holiday in Nerja. We first started going when my Children were 7 & 11yrs and they loved it so much we returned for many years.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

NEDSIRELAND, thanks for the tip on the flamenco festival in Seville. We hope to spend at least a few days there, but we thought a week might be too much with for a 5 and 6 year old. Do we need to get tickets ahead of time?

lucielou, thanks for the positive feedback on Nerja. My husband is thinking Cadiz might be a good option. We're coming from the States (East Coast) and will already have had some beach time during the summer. We want to make sure wherever we stay that we can walk around to get a pastry, drinks or tapas. What part of Nerja would you recommend we stay?

If we split our stay to two places, is 4 days in Seville, 4 days in Nerja doable?

Or should we do Seville and Cadiz?

Our flights are in and out of Malaga.

Old May 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM

susanrford
I don't think the young kids will be too happy with Cadiz. There's the old section and then it's beach, beach, and more beach. Certainly it's great for adults but kids will be bored quickly.

On the other hand, there's lots of places for the kids in Sevilla.

Blackduff
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Hi Susan,

I rented an apartment in the eastern part of Nerja twice in the past. From it, I could walk to the supermarket, the ATM machine, the shops, the restaurants and Burriana beach. Loved it. I rented from Inter-sol (http://www.inter-sol.com/)and was very satisfied with them.

I found Nerja to be a good place for day trips, either in the mountains(Granada, Frigiliana) or along the coast (Malaga, Marbella).

I'd go back in a hearbeat.

Hope this helps.

Ginny

Old May 12th, 2006, 02:52 PM

We have used Inter-sol many times for apartment rentals in Nerja and I can vouch for their integrity. They are very helpful and will try hard to find you just the right apartment. An apartment would be a great option with kids. I agree with Ginny to stay on the east side.

We spend two weeks in Nerja every year and we do not go to the beaches. You could easily spend a week there.

The first week in October will most likely have great weather. I believe it is the holiday week for many school children. We always go to Nerja in May or October. This year we will arrive on October 11. That is the week of Nerja's feria.....loud and boisterous. You would not want to be there during that time
(and you won't be).

Have fun wherever you choose. BTW, it is an easy drive from the Malaga airport to Nerja.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Judi:
I rented the one-bedroom Garden Apartment with a swimming pool from Inter-sol. Which one(s) did you rent? I'm thinking of going back to Nerja (from Canada, a long trek) and might try another apartment. The Garden A. is hard to beat, though.

Ginny
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:50 PM

Hi Ginny. The Garden Apartment looks lovely. You know it is Nick's apartment.(?) We stayed at Villa Aritza the first time which is near the Garden Apt.

We love C/Carabeo and mostly stay at 70 or 72. We stayed at 68a once but it is expensive and garish, IMO.

If you don't mind the walk to the town center I agree that the Garden Apt. is hard to beat.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:31 AM

Hi Susan

We always take the same villa/apartment,the site I use is

www.thisisnerja.com

It doesnt really matter where you stay in Nerja, you wont be too far away from a shop. Four days each in Nerja and Seville sound doable to me, but take into account Seville is soooo hot especiall since you kids are quiet young! There is plenty to do in Nerja and the kids wont be bored, they would love the Caves! as for Tapas! you wont be short of them, there is a lovely little place opened about 2 yrs back on the Balcom, when you approach the Balcon from the town centre, its just on you right near the big old church! they are the best in Nerja.
Have fun.
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice on Nerja. Judi, lucilou, travginny, others, do you know when La Feria de Nerja will be this year? What's it like? Is it something that we'd want to be around for? or want to avoid with kids?

We're flying in on Tuesday October 3 and out on Wednesday October 11!

Any additional info would be helpful!
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I really don't know if you have to buy tix for the Flamenco competitions ahead of time (or if that's even possible). I mentioned the Bienal de Flamenco because it's something you can enjoy with the children rather than scheduling to go to a late night show and wondering what to do with the kids.

Having a car in Sevilla is like having a car in NYC. It can be a burden.
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Hi Susan.

I believe the Nerja feria will be October 8-12 this year. It is on the east side of town so you wouldn't want to stay anywhere near there. Our friends who live in Nerja think we are silly to want to experience it. The woman who rented us the apartment said she would leave ear plugs in the night stand.

It may be fun for you and the kids during the day, especially if there are parades. The Spanish love to dress up in tradtional costumes and it is a pretty sight. At night I have been told it is extremely loud!

Do you have any ideas where you want to stay in Nerja, if that is where you decide to go?

Old May 15th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Most of the Bienal de Flamenco performances sell out quickly, so advance tickets are highly recommended. They do normally save a limited number of tickets for sale the morning of the performance.
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
gray_lady

We just returned from a delightful week on the beach at Nerja -- a delightful town. We rented a wonderful condo in the Tuhillo complex (with a pool) directly on the cliff above the sea, at the eastern edge of Nerja (near the Parador, if you have a map). Easy walk to supermarket, many cafes, and the town center. Nerja is an hour from Malaga and 90 minutes from Granada.

Old May 28th, 2006, 04:11 AM

Nerja is nice, but too remote to be a base. In fact, Anadlucia is too big to havea single base. If I picked one place, however, it would be Ronda. It is day trip distance to must places you'd want to go, except Granada.