Reload this Page >

Where to base in Amalfi area for Day-Tripping AND Swimming

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am looking for the appropriate town and hotel for my family (including 3 kids - 13, 11, 9). From here we want to visit Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Paestum. We also want to be able to relax and swim (kid's vacation and all). We plan to stay for 6 or 7 nights. I can pay about $500/night as we usually need 2 rooms for 5 people. I'd appreciate any info regarding the most appropriate base (ie. Sorrento, Capri, Positano, something else?). Thank you,
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:16 AM
ira

Hi,

You will got a lot of suggestions for Positano.

You might want to consider Praiano. The Onda Verde would be in the $500/nite range for 2 rooms.
http://www.ondaverde.it/hoteli.htm

We will be staying at the Le Sirene for much less.
http://www.lesirene.com/index_ing.htm
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:17 AM

Do a search on the forum and you'll see this has been asked a few times. Capri is a must see, particularly over night. But it's not good for day trips as you'd have to ferry back and forth every time. Positano is very nice, but a little expensive and public transportation is by slower bus than train. (looke into Masa Lubrense and Praiano as nice cheaper alternatives with the same situation)

Your best bet without a doubt is Sorrento. It's where the local train (Circumvesuviana) stops. Extremely easy, cheap, and fast for Pompeii and Herculameum. And makes the connection for Paestum.

Check out many previous posts about Sorrento hotels. Lots have a nice pool for the kids.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 09:27 AM

We stayed in Praiano in a villa. High season it costs 1900 euro. The villa sleeps 8, has 3 bathrooms and the most amazing view from multiple terraces. The town is small, but easy access to Amalfi and Positano. Shuttles run every 20 minutes. The best thing is that you get away from the crowds! There is a beach down a path and a long flight of stairs.Try this website if you are interested
http://www.italianrentalvillas.com/H...41054054719476
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 09:29 AM

Sorrento makes a great base as it has so many shops, food stores, restaurants, hotels etc. Much more to do in the evenings. Be sure to get a hotel with pool as Sorrento does not have much of a beach.

Larry J
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 11:36 AM

I prefer Positano because it's less Americanized and citified, but Sorrento's probably your best bet.

From Sorrento, you can easily grab a train to Pompeii ( about 30 min.) or a SITA bus to Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. At the port in Sorrento, there are hydrofoils ( 20 min) or ferries ( 40 min) to Capri. In season, there are also boats to Positano and Amalfi. The boat services are fairly cheap, and a great alternative to the horrendous summer coastal traffic.

We based in Sorrento this July with our kids, ages 12 and 15. I was pining for Positano, but my husband and kids thought Sorrento was an excellent choice. We stayed at the Tramontano, a lovely hotel set in a small tropical garden overlooking the Bay of Naples. We chose this hotel over the more popular Bellevue Syrene because it had a swimming pool. It also had a beach, but it was really a narrow strip of sand with a stone swimming pier jutting out into the water. Just so you know, this kind of beach is typical in the area. Most people seem to swim off the rocks, off boats, or at their hotel pools.

Our rooms were $240/night with gorgeous terraces facing the Bay of Naples. Breakfast was included, but rather mediocre, so we wound up getting fresh fruit smoothies or cornettos and expresso in town.

The hotel was only 10 min walking distance from Piazza Tasso, the main square, and less from the old part of Sorrento, which is home to the all important (for teens and husband) internet cafes and wonderful pizzerias like LANTERNA.

Just a last thought for you: If you are going to spend a week in the area, have you thought about a villa rental? It might be cheaper and you'd have more room.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!