Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to agree to meet traveling friend at CDG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm leaving wed night for paris and am meeting my traveling partner at CDG airport after I arrive. I'm coming in on delta (2 terminal c) and she's coming in on continental (2 terminal a). She's getting there over an hour before me but it's her first visit and she wants to wait and meet up with me before going into Paris. Any suggestions on where we should meet that won't be too confusing, considering she's never been in CDG before? I thought baggage claim area but I'm not sure she'll want to sit there for over an hour...there would just be one baggage area, right? even if we're on different airlines? Baggage claim is the safest choice, but please share any other suggestions (I'm guessing once you leave baggage area you wouldn't be able to go back). thanks!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:41 AM

The terminals have information desks--that would be an alternative to the baggage-claim area. Unfortunately, there just isn't much seating in the lobbies aside from cafés.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 09:22 AM
ira

Hi C,

Map of CDG 2 can be found at http://www.adp.fr/
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM

My recollection of a meeting place in 2 is not particularly good BUT I will say whatever you decide, have a fall back plan for both of you. Last month we were advocating for our 2 sons and their wives to meet to share a cab to the hotel--their planes were about an hour apart. We finally decided to just let them come independently. Well, one son didn't arrive at the hotel for hours after he should have and we were VERY concerned. We were "negotiating" with the hotel staff to call CDG, etc. when their cab arrived. Their flight from the US was hours late (and one flight diverted, and on and on) and then their lugggage was lost. I know that is a far out scenario, but things happen. Be sure your friend has a map and address of the hotel in case she has to take a cab. And have a time at your meeting spot that is the "all bets are off and we go on to the hotel".
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:37 AM

CDG is one of the most unwieldy & ungainly airports I've used. Lots of other people think it's a mess too so it isn't just me.

Sadly there is not 1 baggage claim in Terminal 2. Each "hall" of Terminal 2 denoted by a letter has its own baggage claim: A, B, C, D & F. 2A & 2C are next to each other connected by a concourse.

I would not recommend baggage claim as a meeting area. Once you leave baggage claim and customs you don't go back. Rarely have I seen people push their way though the exit to go into the customs area. I assume you risk opening yourself up to another customs inspection unless you explained your way in. Not something I'd want to attempt.

When the times are close I've waited for friends to exit the customs area of their baggage claim hall.

In the narrow walkway between Halls A & C there are 2 or 3 little cafes. Sorry I don't know the names of them. She could sit at a table near the concourse and you could look for each other. Hopefully someone has more detailed info.

Gretchen has an excellent idea with the "all bets are off" time.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:46 AM

What about the area where you buy train tickets and then exit onto the tracks to take the RER into Paris? This would be easy to get directions to from airport personel.

I seem to remember a big staircase that would provide a good vantage point for looking down on the crowd to find someone.

Maybe you should also both wear a red hat or something distinctive so that you will stand out from the crowds of people.

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:47 AM

I think the other place you could meet is the taxi line. I'm pretty sure there is only one. OR meet at "Door 8". I thnk this is the Continental Airlines "door". The taxi line is at Door 6.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:58 AM

Plan A - Pick up your luggage, go through customs. To account for delays, check the TV monitors to see who arrived first. The <u>first</u> arriver goes to the <u>other</u>'s meeting point (outside customs), unless some maximum agreed delay is expected, in which case you will implement

Plan B: - Both of you get to the hotel on your own.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:59 AM

Meet at Door (Porte) # 10, which is about halfway between halls A and C. There should be a &quot;Navettes Aeroports&quot; sign there indicating the airport shuttle stops there.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Isn't there a cafe you/they could meet at? Can you find one on the airport map?

Since it conceivably could be HOURS if there are flight delays, personally I'd rather be sitting at a table with a glass of wine or a snack, than hanging out at luggage claim, taxi stand, or any other given landmark suffering from jet-lag and post-flight crankiness.

Ditto the great idea to have a 'Plan B' (i.e., after 3 hours waiting each goes to hotel separately by taxi, for example).
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Everyone, thank you for your suggestions! These are helpful! I checked out the CDG map, and it appears that the area between A and C is public and there is a McDonald's located in that area. My friend is arriving more than an hour before me, so I think Plan A is going to be for her to check the monitors for my arrival then go wait for me at or around the mcdonalds. That way she can go to the other shops (or have a glass of wine at a cafe) while she waits. We'll also follow your suggestions about a plan B period of time to wait. Meeting at the customs exit may be a good option, but neither of us can really conceptualize that and seems more confusing although it might not be in reality. Thanks!!

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:18 AM

I'd suggest a specific door number in a specific terminal as StCirq suggests. Any plane can be delayed, so planning on the baggage claim area (even if one was willing to sit on the floor or a cart or stand around an hour) isn't a good idea. It sounds like torture because even if someone was willing to sit on the floor etc, if they have a long wait, they might want to get a drink or something to relax and pass the time, get money, browse the newstands, etc.

If a plane is delayed for hours, someone can always go to a cafe for a while and then go back to the agreed-door at the appropriate time. I don't see a problem with that. I think the RER area could be okay also if that's how you intend to get into Paris, otherwise, no.

I have also been delayed about 3-4 hours at CDG, so definitely plan on that possibility. In my case, I think it was the plane being delayed 1-2 hours and then also a lost baggage problem which took a couple hours to resolve (and luckily, it was).
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM

The advantage to meeting outside the customs hall is that the second arriver doesn't have to spend any time finding the first in an unfamiliar airport terminal (with my luck, they'd have dismantled the McDonald's and replaced it with a <i>marron glac&eacute;</i> stand last week).
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:08 PM

I've never arrived at Hall 2c, but from the map it appears you may come in the basement, and have to find your way up to the road level to meet your friend.

I would not want to have to stand around by one of the doors for who knows how long after a long flight.

If you look at the map (click on welcome at the bottom of the first screen to get it into English, then select passenger services, then access, then maps, then terminal 2, then click on the map itself to enlarge it, then print copies for everyone and put an X where you plan to meet so you can get help, if necessary), you will see that across the concourse from doors 1 and 2 of hall 2c, there is a cafe/bar, a restaurant, and restrooms. Everything one would want to wait in comfort. So my suggestion would be that you plan to meet there, where your friend can wait in comfort.

Of course, having a fall-back plan is excellent advice.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:42 PM

My suggested method for minimizing time in the airport seems to have been misconstrued as waiting for hours outside the customs hall. Okay, here it is:

The first arriver (f.a.), after collecting luggage and clearing customs, can plant him/herself anywhere s/he jolly well pleases. When the second flight arrives and the gate is definite, f.a. can then make his/her way to the meeting area outside the customs area serving that gate.

My only point was, and remains, that the f.a. has time to scope out the situation and be in a place where the second doesn't have to do any searching. What the f.a. does between arriving and meeting is moot.

(Can you tell I've been a Procedures Analyst?)