Where should we go outside of London?

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 03:50 PM
Sandy

Where should we go outside of London?

We have one day to spare. We have been to Hampton Court. Where should we spend our day away from the city? We are not looking for any more museums, but local color...Thank you.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 05:31 PM
Debbie

Hi Sandy - Can suggest from experience Regents Park and the Zoo, Kew Gardens, Windsor Castle/Eton College, Dover Castle, or taking the train to Dover, then crossing the channel via Hovercraft to Calais, France. If a day across the channel interests you, but not especially France, consider Belgium.
Have fun whatever you do as there's lots of options !!

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 05:32 PM
Debbie

Hi Sandy - Can suggest from experience Regents Park and the Zoo, Kew Gardens, Windsor Castle/Eton College, Dover Castle, or taking the train to Dover, then crossing the channel via Hovercraft to Calais, France. If a day across the channel interests you, but not especially France, consider Belgium.
Have fun whatever you do as there's lots of options !!

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 05:34 PM
Debbie

Oops, Fodor's hiccupped on my message to Sandy. Sorry for the duplication !!

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 07:39 PM
Mavis

Sandy I'd find out from the British Tourist Authority office where there might be a agricultural fair that day, then rent a car or take the train/bus. If you want to see the English at their 'wellies and anorak' best, you must go to the fair. We went to one at Wellington House once, there were dog trials, horses and hounds, displays, car show, picnics, etc. Was wonderful.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 07:49 PM
s.fowler

I'd suggest Canterbury. It's about 2 hrs by train. It is incredibly picturesque, has a magnificent cathedral and pedestrian streets full of old buildings, places to eat and shop.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 04:57 AM
Jo

Bath is a wonderful town about an hour and a half by train.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 08:11 AM
Debbie

Sandy-if you want to "feel" a different England-I would suggest going to Winchester(roman town with cathedral,quaint shops,pubs,etc) or try and go up to Warwick Castle which is somewhat near Stratford upon Avon. It has beautiful grounds,fascinating rooms with Cromwell's armour,etc.. There is even a dressed knight on a horse that rides around the countryside during the spring and summer to answer questions and give info. I have been to England numerous times and this is the living castle to visit! There is a marvelous book called"50 daytrips out of London" that gives train/bus travel numbers, tips and times/costs that I would highly recommend for your trip. It is in paperback and well worth looking at. Email me if you want more info.Debbie Have fun!

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 10:47 AM
Sheila

Rye.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 06:51 PM
Lisa

Sandy,

I would take a day trip to Oxford. It's about an hour to an hour and a half bus ride from London, if I remember correctly. I spent three weeks in Oxford and took the trip many times. Oxford is a University town with a lot of old colleges and universities. I stayed at Corpus Christi last summer to study. There are tons of little shops, pubs, and restaurants. I would try and see one of the plays in any of the universities gardens. The building and their designs are amazing. I think there are tours that will take you around to each of the colleges b/c they're not all open to the public at all times. It has a lot of local color, not a lot of tourist traps.

Canterbury is nice to. If you go there be sure to tour the cathedral, it's amazing. It too has a lot of pubs and stores to explore.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 10:16 AM
Virginia

Oxford is a great choice. You can get a train out of Paddington & it's a great ride. It is also feasible to continue by train from Oxford to Morton-n-Marsh, Banbury etc. From Morton you could get a car & driver & see Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper & Lower Slaughter, Stanton (these are all medieval Cotswold villages) it is (so far) my favorite part of England. We will be going to Whitchurch this coming Sept and staying at Combermere Abbey.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 11:30 AM
Al

My vote is for York. Catch an early northbound train out of Kings Cross Station. Once there, hike the ancient walls. Visit the Minster with its enormous stained-glass "window" -- the size of a tennis court. Visit (I know you hate museums) the British Railway Museum -- fascinating. See the medieval "Shambles" quarter. The Viking Village.If you can spare an extra day, go to Castle Howard, one of England's grandest stately homes, where "Brideshead Revisited" was filmed. Hire a car and see the Dales, where "All Creatures Great and Small" was filmed. The list is nearly endless.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 12:40 PM
Roger

I too would vote for York. I have visited many towns and cities but York has a lot to offer.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 03:45 PM
Martha

I would also recommend York. A lovely town with lots of great shops and York Minster is really amazing. You might also consider taking a day trip to Paris via the Eurostar train under the chunnel. It's a three hour one-way trip from London's Waterloo Station.

Martha

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 04:18 PM
Alan

I recommend Bath. It is a quick and comfortable train from Paddington Station (1h20m) and you'll find bath beautiful, unique and worthwhile.

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 08:56 AM
lisa

I'll second the vote for Bath, and also nominate Cambridge in the alternative -- a short lovely train ride. Take a tour of some of the various colleges at the University, which are gorgeous. Go punting on the river Cam and have lunch at the Spade and Becket on the river.

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 10:59 AM
Lori

I'll third Bath and Oxford. Both are interesting places to visit.

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 10:59 AM
Lori

I'll third Bath and Oxford. Both are interesting places to visit.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 04:22 AM
sandy

If you want to get away from touristy areas and museums, stay away from most of the areas suggested here. My husband and I have been to England over 20 times in the last 9 years and we always try to seek out local culture and try to remain as inconspicuous as possible (seems hard for Americans to do in England). Try Norwich, Bristol, Cheltenham -- places that most people would never think about going and enjoy England without souvenier shops everywhere!

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:42 PM
Topper

O.k, this is it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO