Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where should we go from Naples?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-should-we-go-from-naples-123442/)

Nedda May 11th, 2001 11:58 AM

Where should we go from Naples??

Hi, I will be in Naples for two days, and really am not sure which sites to see or which neighborhoods to visit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! <BR>I am also planning on doing the ride up the Amalfi coast on the third day...and we don't know whether we should spend the night there, or can it be done in the day and then off to Florence we go??

Thyra May 11th, 2001 12:42 PM

If I understand you correctly are you trying to find sights IN Naples or near Naples? If you don't mind going out of the city you have a wealth of options. <BR>Pompeii or Herculeam, if history is your thing, Capri or Ischia are islands, Ischia is known for it's mineral spa's and Capri has the famous Blue Grotto.. what are you interested in?

Nedda May 12th, 2001 09:47 AM

Thyra---Hi. I guess I should have made it more clear in the message. I am interested in what to see in Naples, and also along with the Amalfi coast. I am not really sure how to go about doing the whole amalfi coast ride/trip. Any advice would be great!

Linda May 12th, 2001 11:46 AM

Do a search on Naples for lots of answers to this question. There is so much to see and do in Naples that your two days will be crowded.

Jen May 13th, 2001 05:21 AM

Nedda, <BR> <BR>My husband and I just returned from a week on the Amalfi coast, and then spent the last 2 nights in Naples, before heading to Rome to the airport. <BR> <BR>Make sure you go to the National Archeological Museum in Naples where all the trasures from Pompeii and Ercolano (Herculaneum) are kept. They have crazy hours though, so do it first thing in the am - sometimes they close at 2:00 pm, depending on the funding they receive from the government (!). <BR> <BR>The Amalfi Drive is amazing and not to be missed! As we were there in early May, traffic on it was fine, but I understand that in summer it becomes extremely congested. <BR> <BR>We stayed in the town of Amalfi, and did our day trips to Pompeii, Capri, Sorrento, etc. from there. I highly recommend spending at least one night there. Our view from our room at the Hotel Cappuccini Convento was to die for! <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time - I miss it already!

Nedda May 14th, 2001 10:01 PM

Jen, <BR>Hi. Thanks for the info. I am definantly going to look into the hotel you mentioned in Amalfi. Was it an expensive or moderate hotel? I was wondering how you went up the coast, did you take the bus or have a car, or hire one? Thanks, <BR>Nedda

Leo May 15th, 2001 08:39 AM

That's a really short visit. I'd recommend renting a car (book from the US, in advance, for best rates),and skipping Naples. Stay in Sorrento. Day trip down the Amalfi Coast. Day trip to Pompeii (Go early, and then go in to Naples, if you must.)Day trip out to Capri.Don't try to do/see too much. Set a leisurely pace. Enjoy Italy.

Nedda May 15th, 2001 04:59 PM

Leo -- I am actually quite interested in seeing Naples, lots of good shopping from what I hear. I am not too interested in Pompeii. But I will definantly look into staying in Sorrento for a night. I am actually going from Rome to Naples, then we have one day still undecided (hence we need help on what to do...), and then to Florence. Thanks for the advice.