Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should we base our hotels in Slovenia & Istria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Trieste, and someone on this board told us to drive straight to Lake Bled from the airport for our 1st night. We want to see Lake Bled, Ljubljiana and the Postonja caves. Can we use Lake Bled as our base, or should we move on to Ljub the next day?
In Croatia we are only touching on Istria. Our entire trip is only 5 days split between the 2 countries. Should we base ourselves in Rovinj and do day trips from there, or is there a better option? I have posed this question here before, but am having trouble bringing it up on a search. Thanks in advance. I want to start booking hotels. Our trips in May.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

I'm topping and I did find the other post. 1 answer, Ljub is better then Bled. So do we check out of the Bled hotel the next morning and move on to Ljub, or stick with Bled to see Ljub and the caves before moving on. I sure could use some useful information.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM

I can remark on the Istrian portion of your trip. We were there this past September and had a wonderful time. We absolutely loved Croatia, especially Istria. If you are interested look at my trip report (contains information on Istrian villages, accommodation, etc.). Good luck!

http://p104.ezboard.com/feuropetogof...icID=265.topic

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the opportunity to read your report. My daughter is a professional chef in NYC. She specializes in "Mediterranean" cooking and your descriptions will really impress her. She was a sous chef for a famous chef from Trieste, and even though she is clasically french trained, I know the recipes and style of cooking that she learned there is her favorite, or atleast what she does when she creates a meal for us. I'll be taking notes on your trip report. Thanks again.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

I'm going to be topping until I get a few answers. Batraveler has a great trip report, but doesn't help me with Lake Bled or Ljubljiana. I'll just top at different hours.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
nbujic

Bled is very nice to visit but it is small - about 10,000 people, so I would move to Ljubljana ( 270,000) as a base. Also Ljubljana is closer to Postojna.