Reload this Page >

Walking from Navona to Spanish Steps

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Cathy

Yes, I do have a couple of pretty good maps, but does anyone know of the best way to walk from P. Navona to Spanish Steps. It's hard to tell from the maps. Sides streets as opposed to the main, busy streets?

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:46 PM
matt

Follow the brown signs to Trevi Fountain. After you go by the Pantheon and just before you get to Trevi, you'll cross Via del Corso (look for lots of traffic and Vespas). Turn left and walk for several blocks to Via Condotti. The Spanish Steps will be at the end of the street, visible from Via del Corso.

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:06 PM
x

With all due respect, isn't this trip planning gone a bit too far? Why don't you just wait until you get to Rome, approach some kind looking person in the street, and ask them Per favore, dov'e' la piazza della Spagna?

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Amy

Just wander around...we found Giolitti gelato by accident on our way from Piazza Navona to Spanish Steps. You never know what else you may find...most of the streets are sidestreets the way we went.

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Myer

If you wander enough you'll find it.<BR><BR>A more direct but less interesting way is to walk from Piazza Navona towards and past the Pantheon to Via del Corso. Turn left and walk until the Via Condotti. Turn right and you'll see it 2 blocks in front of you. App 20 minutes.<BR><BR>The more interesting way is to go in the general directions indicated above but stay off the main streets. More fun.<BR><BR>Another way is to walk up Via del Corso until Via del Tritone. Turn right until you get to the base of the Via Veneto. This is one beautiful tree-line boulevard. After a few blocks veer left and wander until you end up at the top of the Spanish Steps. This is obviously the scenic route.<BR><BR>We were in Rome a couple of weeks ago and tried every route except straight up the main streets.<BR><BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Capo

Hi Cathy. There's really no one best way. Part of the fun about walking in Rome is just taking different routes. <BR><BR>That being said, I like heading east from Piazza Navona to Piazza della Rotonda. From there, it's north along the gently curving Via della Maddalena/Via di Campo Marzio, which leads to Via di Borghese. From there, it's just a short hop to Via del Corso, and past Corso, to Via Condotti which leads right to the foot of the Spanish Steps. <BR><BR>Also, if you feel like any gelato on the way, Giolitti's is just a few doors to the east of Via di Campo Marzio, on Via di Uffizi di Vicario.

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:48 PM
xxx

You really will not miss it. Like Matt says there are brown street signs that show arrows to where you're heading. Pza. Navona to the Spanish Steps is not that far and you will find them-look for the crowds. Everyone else is heading the same way. Or like Capo says go down Via del Corso and you cannot miss either.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Cathy

Thanks for all the help. It's exactly what I needed. Unfortunately I am only going to be in Rome a short time and I want to fit in as much as I can. And, x, unless I'm mistaken isn't this what Fodor's is all about, getting wonderful information from people who have been there and done it.