Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should I purchase my rail pass in Canada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Amanda

I was wondering where the best place is to buy my Europass in Canada, without paying heavy admin fees, and overseas exchange? <BR>Thanks.

Old May 6th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Bob Brown

Have you looked at the cost of a pass relative to what point to point tickets would cost you? It takes a lot of rail travel to amortize the cost of a rail pass PARTICULARLY if you buy your point to point tickets in Europe. I hope your source of price information is not Rail Europe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <BR> <BR>Three important facts here. 1. A Eurail Pass is sold only in first class as far as I know. 2. Second class travel on trains in Western Europe is acceptable. There is not a huge difference between first and second class trains. There is a much larger difference on the air lines between cattle class and business class. <BR>3. Any ticket you buy from Rail Europe is going to be at least 25%, <BR>even 45%, HIGHER than the same ticket bought in Europe. For example 1 full fare adult ticket on the TGV from Paris to Lausanne is 61.28 euros. Rail Europe wants $79.00 US for the same ticket on the same train!!! <BR>The fare of 61.28 euros converts right now to about $55.00 US. Based on my calculations, you will pay 45% more for the privilege of doing business with Rail Europe. <BR> <BR>Another point, if you are a senior, or if you have young children, you can get a discount from the sNCF without special passes or cards. <BR> <BR>Because of my age, I can get the same ticket for 56.71 euros or $51 US, which is 55% more for me to buy from RE. <BR>Rail Europe made no mention that I could find of a discount for age. <BR> <BR>I know, you did not mention France. <BR>But this example is one I know from actual experience, and it is very illustrative of the kinds of premiums you can be stuck with paying, depending on where you buy your tickets.

Old May 6th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Bob Brown

OHH. I did not read the fine print at Rail Europe. That group wants an extra $5.00 for TGV and Thayls and Artesia trains!! So the difference just went up another notch. So add $5.00 to the price I gave you above!!

Old May 6th, 2001, 02:34 PM
jahoulih

Just one addition to what Bob had to say: If you're under 26, you can get a 2d-class Eurail pass, which will be about 30% cheaper than a 1st-class pass. As far as buying the pass in Canada, I don't think it's any different from buying one in the U.S. There are lots of on-line vendors (www.raileurope.com, www.railpass.com, www.europebytrain.com, www.ricksteves.com, etc.), and they all charge the same price (though they offer different freebies--guidebooks and such). I think the passes are only priced in U.S. dollars, which may be bad for you these days.

Old May 6th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Shayne

Second class Eurail Passes are available to those under 26. There are also saver passes available for two or more people travelling together at ALL times (something like 15% off). From what I have found the price of Eurail passes is the same all over in Canada. The only differences are in the freebies offered by the various companies. We ordered our from Rick Steves' site. They offered a free video on rail travel and a free guidebook with your order. They also offered to critique your itinerary and offer suggestions. Good Luck! <BR>

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Al Godon

You mean somebody has to watch a video before the know how to sit on a train?? <BR>I think I am feeling like throwing up. <BR> <BR>You decide where you want to go, go to the station, buy the dad blamed ticket, find the right train and get on the <BR>cottonpickin thing. What the heck is there to watch a video about? <BR>Like you may need some monumental decision on whether to sit facing forward or facing backward? <BR>Or does Rick baby give strategies for how to approach a ticket agent? <BR>Like don't try to pay in US dollars or something? <BR>Holy cripes, I rode trains all over Europe sometimes without even knowning where I was going to get off. <BR>

Old May 7th, 2001, 11:35 AM
meagan

I just purchased my rail pass last week from Travel Cuts. I am 25, so I got the Youth Pass. There are no admin fees when purchasing through Travel Cuts, you don't have to be a student/youth to get it there either. All the employees are well traveled and can help you out with any questions. I'd check it out!

Old May 7th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Judy

For single country or three countries, you can buy second clase pass even over 26 years old.I always get the pass from local travel agent in Ontario,they charge the same as the price listed on Eurorail brochure.But, when traveling in just one area, it is cheaper to buy point to point tickets,

Old May 7th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Al Godon

If you don't have any idea of where you are going and don't know what point to point tickets cost you, how do you know if a rail pass saves you money?? <BR> <BR>A rail pass is no automatic money saver. <BR> <BR>For example, a single adult can buy a 4 day second class Swiss rail pass for 240 chf. <BR> <BR>For the same money, that adult could ride from Davos in the extreme eastern part of the country to Geneva and back, and still have enough money left over to go to Zürich. That is about 14 hours of nothing but train riding. <BR> <BR>Another example. A Eurail Select Pass for 5 days is $328. You can ride from Paris to Vienna and back for $284, all second class tickets. <BR>That is a lot of riding. <BR> <BR>Passes can be bought. But how do you know if one saves you money? <BR>Is there some reason for buying one other than saving money?? <BR>