Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should I go on a daytrip from Amsterdam?

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Krista

I have a Sunday free in Amsterdam at the end of October and I'm considering a daytrip somewhere nearby to see either another town or some countryside. Does anyone know of a great half day or whole day trip I can do on my own by train or even an organized tour? I enjoy beautiful scenery (I love to take pictures) and shopping.

Thanks

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Sjoerd

For shopping you have to stay in Amsterdam as shops in other cities are often closed on Sundays. (mostly, they open only one Sunday per month outside of Amsterdam)
If the weather is nice, I would go to National Park De Hoge Veluwe and the Kroller Muller art museum. www.kmm.nl
Or a day trip to Marken, Monnickendam and Volendam (I personally think Volendam is a terrible tourist trap, but many foreigners like it there) would be nice also.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 08:59 AM
AC

Hi Krista:
On my recent trip to Amsterdam, I took two organized bus tours by Lindbergh Tours located on Damrak, One was an all day tour of Holland. Rotterdam, Aalsmar, Maastrict and Maurodam. The next day was a another all day tour to Antwerp and Brussels. We enjoyed both. It was not expensive, the tour guide on both days totally by accident(Petro, absolutely gorgeous! and spoke 9 languages) was informative and funny. Lindbergh also offers half day tours to various attractions. Have fun!

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Steve Mueller

A visit to Delft and Leiden would be an easy daytrip by train. The two towns are located close to one another a short distance to the southwest of Amsterdam. The scenery would not include natural landscape features, but, rather, human-made features such as windmills, canals, etc. My wife and I were there near the end of October last year and it was raining intermittently, but that may be a risk you will be forced to take anywhere you travel in the Netherlands at that time of year.

Good luck.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 10:45 AM
wes fowler

Krista,
You might consider the town of Enkhuizen on the shore of the former Zuiderzee (now Ijselmeer. In addition to being a charming town with a number of fine buildings, it's the home of the Zuiderzee museums, one indoors, one outdoors. The indoor museum covers over 700 years of history relating to fishing, whaling and sea transport. You'll find examples of traditional costumes, home interiors and the like. The open air museum has well over 100 buildings, homes, shops and workplaces that have been reassembled from towns that bordered the Zuiderzee. Both museums offer and excellent introduction to Netherlands lifestyles over the centuries. Both are open until October 31.