Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should I go mid April 09 for one week where it's warm & charming?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the opportunity to select a destination for one week with my husband to celebrate my birthday, provided, of course, that we can get hotel or bed/breakfast accommodations, plane tickets, etc., for the middle of April.
I really don't know where to go.
We live in the Eastern US, and don't want a long plane ride.. though Germany or Ireland would be alright.
My husband suggested Ireland, but I said it always rains over there...
I'd prefer a warmer climate, with nice weather.
I love quaint shops, antiques, interesting avenues, old architecture, charm galore - photography, nature, a nice beach... lots of things to do - easy to walk around and take photographs..
I love nature...
We aren't particularly into museums.. I'm more into photography and shopping the antique shops and little boutiques with unusual jewelry or bohemian type clothing.
He's into just walking around, sitting at the beach... driving around..
So.. any ideas?
I was even thinking, maybe just California, or AZ or Utah?, but I do love the quaint old towns in Europe. We've been to Stockholm, I really liked that.. and Venice, I loved -
We've been to London a lot.. I'm rather tired of it by now.. and besides, why not go somewhere DIFFERENT?
As far as accommodations, anything goes - no price limit at the moment.. just looking for ideas.
But he does prefer places with excellent service and accommodations.
I'm open to more homey bed and breakfasts with helpful hosts and getting into the culture.
Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Sounds like Andalucia - maybe the Cote d'Azur ?? Greek Islands... lots of possibilities...

-Kevin
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:17 AM

How about the Amalfi Coast??.....I just finished helping my sister plan a week there for end of April, 4 days in Positano and 3 days in Sorrento. Temperature will probably be in the high 50s to low 60s.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Wow, this was fast!
I heard Greece was not good this time of year, weather-wise, but I'll look into it. My husband said summer is the best time to go to Greece?
I'll look up Amalfi Coast. I wished it were warmer.. I'd prefer 70's?
Any other suggestions while I'm researching these suggestions?
Thank you!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about Dubrovnik? The weather may not be warm but it's got lots of charm and is very photogenic. We stayed in the Old Town and loved it. There is swimming but the beaches are not great. Maybe a driving holiday down the Croatian coastline, finishing in Dubrovnik?

Malta is another idea, we loved it there too. Valletta has an incredible amount of history and is full of historic architecture. The view of the Grand Harbour from Valletta is one of the world's best in my opinion. It's only a 30 min flight to Sicily from Malta too, if you fancy tacking on Taormina (fly into Catania).

Kay
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

So, you're suggesting, fly into Catania and stay in Taormina? Stay in Valletta and Malta then fly to Sicily?
Forgive me, but I've never heard of any of these places except "malta'.. I don't even know where they are or in what proximity!
But it sounds good!
Would we have to stay in two different places as far as Malta goes, if we want to experience Valletta and the view of the Grand Harbour?
My husbands favorite view is the view of Hong Kong Harbour, so maybe he'd like this Grand Harbor view in Valletta?
Help me out if you can, futher, with hotel or bed and breakfast suggestions...
Thanks so much.. and I'll look into Dubrovnik and Greece...
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM

I'm not sure you can find all you want in Europe in mid April.

Why not think south instead of east or west, from the east coast US? Have you posted on the Carribean and Mexica/Central America boards?

You might come closer to all you want by going in that direction.

I love Europe and mostly travel there, but I wouldn't go to Europe if I was look for "warm" in mid April.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Malta is a very small isolated group of 3 islands, south of Italy and north of Africa, with an incredible amount of history.

Click on this link and skim through, looking at the photos for a bit of a taste of Malta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta

Click here and then click on the gallery (top right) to see some photos:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/malta#

Here are some accommodation ideas:
http://www.phoeniciamalta.com/hotelphoenicia/home.aspx
http://www.vallettahouse.com/
http://www.vallettasuites.com/

If you stayed on Malta, you could either stay in Valletta, which is what we did and were glad of it, or stay elsewhere on the island, maybe a resort with a beach and catch a bus into Valletta. Buses go everywhere and are cheap.

It may not be that warm in April but worth checking out.

Our trip was longer than yours, we flew into Malta, had a week there, flew to Catania and had about 10 days in Sicily (Italy) then flew back to Malta and had about 4 days on Gozo, Malta's sister island.

Hope this helps a bit with your planning.

Kay
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM

I'm with tuscan on this. I'd suggest, otherwise, Faro and Lisbon (in Portugal), Seville, (Spain) Marseilles. Montpellier or Biarrtiz (France)
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Tuscanlifeedit, no I have not yet posted on Caribbean or Mexico/Central... I wasn't thinking those areas would have as much 'charm' as Europe.. but perhaps...
I'm really liking Amalfi now, and am looking into Malta.
I also checked Churchill, CA for the Polar Bears, but doesn't seem like enough to do after, say, 2 days of seeing Polar Bears... (I love wildlife)...
and someone mentioned Orr, MN for the Vince Shute Black Bear Refuge (I'm open to US too),
and then in Canada, the Bergeron's Exotic Animal Sanctuary.. but I have not gotten to that one yet.. and it's probably rather 'un-quant' and just so entirely different than these charming places I'm honing in on.
Seems like we need more time than a week in Malta, not sure about the time it would take to fly there, though.. we didn't want a long flight. I didn't realize it was close to Africa?
If it takes too long, we'd have to cross Malta out for this trip.
I wonder if Amalfi's closer?
I will check out your photos, Kay, right ow...
and Sheila,
I have heard from my Father how beautiful Portugal is... and will check out Spain and France!
I'll keep checking and checking!
There's definitely not enough time in one day, is there?
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM

I would suggest California,Barcelona,Nice,Lisbon or anywhere in Italy (nonstop flights from NYC)but since you are going around Easter this all may be the wrong suggestions.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Sicily definitely fits your criteria. It is simply beautiful in Spring as well as warm. You would be able to get a good taste of it with only a week. If you are looking for ancient history, architecture and beaches it is just perfect. And the natural scenery is outstanding! Oh, and the food...mmmmm....
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM

You mention shopping a lot, and I find the shopping in France to be far superior to that in Italy, especially for antiques. However, the south of France (which I immediately thought of for you) will not be as warm as Sicily and other more southerly Mediterranean climes. So it really depends on what your top priorities are.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Sicily is wonderful but the poster stated that they were leaving in less than two weeks.Sicily/Italy connections and Easter-too hard to do at this late date I think. All of my Rome and Milan flights have been full with spring breakers. Just a thought?