Where should I go in Italy in February>

Nov 15th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Where should I go in Italy in February>

I am at my wits end. In early Feb 2006, I thought I would fly into Genoa, drive down for 3-4 days to Portofino/SML/CT, drive up pass Milan to the Lake Cumo area for 3 days and spend 2 days in Milan before I have to go to work in Turin. I'm expect the weather to be cold and wet. How cold and wet specifically, I don't know. But, from several postings here, I read that some hotels and restaurants in Portfino, CT, and Lake Cumo area maybe CLOSED for the winter. Does anyone have any first hand experience? Any other suggestions, places to go? I've been to Florence, Rome, Venice, Pisa and Tuscany already, but I wouldn't mind going back to Venice. My major concern, will enough hotels and restaurants be closed at this time of year to make it unenjoyable or should I go elsewhere. I could make Milan my base to Lake Cumo area. I want to stay in northern Italy. Any advice would be appreciated immensely. Thank you.
Nov 15th, 2005, 08:41 PM
cmt

You're finding hotels closed because you are looking in RESORT towns. Why don't you just choose some places that are less dependent on the seasons for their appeal?

By the way, you said that you've been to Florence, Pisa, and Tuscany, but note that Florence and Pisa are IN Tuscany.
Nov 15th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I realize that, I just didn't want people to say, "Oh, go to Florence, go to Tuscany". Been there, done that. I don't want to go south of Pisa. I want to go to CT and the Lake region for it's sheer beauty regardless of the season and just because I'm there at that time.

I am also using as a resource, TripAdvisor (gasp). Does anyone have any opinion about which is more objective and authoratative? This forum seem more geared to specific advice for specific problems (which I like) as well as hotel ratings. TripAdvisor seems mostly hotel ratings.
Nov 16th, 2005, 12:00 AM

How about going to Venice during Carnivale? Checked one website and dates for 2006 appear to run Feb 18 - 28
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:25 AM

We spend February of every year in Italy. This past February, we visited the Emilia Romagna, Le Marche, and Umbria/Tuscany regions. My husband and I particularly enjoyed Bologna, Modena, Ferrara, Ravenna, Parma, etc. There are also a lot of nice little towns in this area as well as great food and beautiful farmhouses to stay in. We were never bored and enjoyed the additional attention/access to the locals this time of year allows. We highly recommend this area anytime but actually prefer if "off season". Please let me know if you need additional information.
Nov 16th, 2005, 07:22 AM
ira

Hi cc,

I also recommend the region between Venice and Bologna.

Add Padua.

Nov 16th, 2005, 07:28 AM

It seems like the south would be a lot better weather wise. Sicily and Calabria were beautifull for us last November.
Nov 16th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Just a head's up for you. Remember alogn with Carnival, the Olympics will be from 2/10 to 2/26. That may influence when and where you travel.

We will be in Florence and Venice late Jan and early Feb. and had no problems with accommodations, but I did book a several months ago. Our Venice does close for the month of January, but re-opens for Feb.

Best of luck to you, Keep us posted on what you decide, Tiff
Dec 20th, 2005, 09:58 AM

I'm very familiar with southern Italy and the lakes, but will be in Bologna and the mountains outside Bologna for a couple of weeks and need suggestions of places to visit that are not too far or difficult to reach. Any suggestions?
Dec 20th, 2005, 11:13 AM
ira

Hi cc,

From Bologna, you can easily visit Florence (1 hr) and Venice (2 hr).

Dec 20th, 2005, 11:23 AM

I would add Verona for both requesters. Fabulous town. Easily accessible from Bologna, Venice or Milan. A day trip probably wouldn't do it justice, but it's a start .

-e
Dec 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Thanks. My travel mate wants to go to Venice. I've been there a few times, always in Spring. I understand many things close down in January. True?
Dec 21st, 2005, 04:43 AM

On Lake Como, try Varenna - you might find a hotel open there. I've heard that Bellagio is shut tight in winter.

Lecco will certainly have a hotel or two open. It's not usually on the tourist map, but from Lecco it's an easy hop by train to Varenna and then ferry boats to Bellagio, Menaggio, Como, etc. You can also drive up to the mountains to ski etc.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com (personal)
www.tvblob.com (work)
Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:23 PM

Has anyone been to Spannocchia or Orvieto? Is this a doable trip from Bologna?