Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should I drop a car off outside Paris that's convenient to a train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Joe

My family and I are renting a car in Nice and driving to Paris over a two week period. We'd prefer to leave the car at a drop off station outside Paris and take the train into the city. Can someone please recommend a good location to do this? <BR> <BR>Tks <BR> <BR>Joe

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Boris

<BR>Try a train station

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:41 AM
elvira

Versailles; RER C goes right into Paris.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:58 AM
idiotsrus

Duh Boris!!!! <BR> <BR>I think he couldn't figured that much out!! <BR> <BR>I'm sorry I can't help you Joe. I'm not familiar with the area. <BR> <BR>If you don't have anything intelligent to post then don't bother!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Tammy

Here's another vote for Versailles, the Chantlier (or something like that) station. Most of the rental car agencies are across the street from the station, but the Avis office is located in the station. Then just hop on the RER C into Paris.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Ann

I always leave the car at St Germain en Laye RER station. It has a large underground car park and it takes 20 minutes into the centre by RER line A. I use that station because I know it well, but there are similar ones at other ends of lines into Paris. Another that I have used is at Plaisir. There is a huge car park for the Auchan hypermarche, right next to the station and it takes about 45 minutes to Montparnasse.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Joe

Thanks Tammy, I just made the arrangements with Avis. It was a breeze. I appreciate your suggestion.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Fred

&lt;&lt;We'd prefer to leave the car at a drop off station outside Paris and take the train&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>First of all, you'll have to find out where your rental company has a drop off point. No sense planning to take a train from a town without a drop-off office. Then you'll want one preferably south of Paris since that's the direction you'll be coming from. So I would suddest you call the car agency and get a list of towns that have an office, then pick the closest one to Paris and south of the city . You can always drop it at Orly-then you would take a taxi or shuttle bus or Orly bus or Orly Rail or Air France bus. Melun or Fontainbleu may have rental offices - I don't know - but that's where you have to start, by finding towns with an office where you can drop the car. For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]