Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where shall we splurge? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-shall-we-splurge-279698/)

duncans Dec 15th, 2002 11:17 AM

Where shall we splurge?

We are a couple in our twenties taking a 5 week trip to Europe starting january 16. We are going to london, brussels, paris, nice, florence, rome and amalfi coast. We will be staying in 4-5 star hotels in these cities. We both love driving so we would like to rent a luxury car like porshe, bmw or jaguar in 1 of these cities. WHere do you suggeust we do that? We would like a safe city where we would not have a "Robe ME" look.

Bob Dec 15th, 2002 11:23 AM

Too bad you are not going to Germany. That is where you can enjoy driving a fast car fast.<BR><BR>I would not recommend getting your car to drive in the city. Especially Rome. You do not want a car in that city as well as Paris or Brussels. I would recommend getting the car at one point of your trip to drive from one city to the other to use it to explore the countryside. Maybe pick up car as you leave Nice and drive to Florence then down to Rome. Just a thought.

Grasshopper Dec 15th, 2002 11:47 AM

Amalfi Coast of course. Check out the ad campaign (used to be on the website) for the Lexus convertible coupe. That's where they filmed it.

duncans Dec 15th, 2002 11:48 AM

We would rather not rent a car in london because taking the tube is actually fun.<BR> We think Nice would be nice for the driving along the beach and to cannes and montecarlo. We also like florence for the countryside and the amalfi coast for the drives along the coast and villages. I think we should go with the saffest place so which would that be?

Skippy Dec 15th, 2002 11:53 AM

<BR><BR>If you would like a city where you would not have a &quot;Robe ME&quot; look, I would highly recommend you avoid visiting Rome during the time of the emperors.

sean Dec 15th, 2002 11:53 AM

I will be flying to France and Italy in 3 weeks. I would like to rent a sports car for a day or two but I too am concerned about my safety. I have rented luxury cars in switzerland a few times and I always felt safe there.

Diane Dec 15th, 2002 01:51 PM

We had a car for most of our 3 weeks in Italy in 2001. Drive from Florence to the Amalfi coast (stop off along the way for at least a night in Tuscany) I'd recommend Castel Bigozzi, outside of Monteriggioni). Plan to drop the car off at the airport in Rome so you can do that part without a car. Having a car to explore Tuscany is important, and driving the Amalfi coast is a blast (since it won't be &quot;in season&quot; while you are there, traffic will be minimal and you can REALLY enjoy it.)

rich Dec 15th, 2002 02:06 PM

i do not believe you can take a luxury car into italy. when i rent a mercedes from hertz i am told right off that italy's not allowed, along wth some eastern europe countries. i'm getting a mercedes in frankfurt that i can drive to austria, switz., france, and the netherlands. check with hertz, or auto europe or someone like that what there rules are. you'll have no problem renting a mini van in italy, but not a high end car.

Charles Dec 15th, 2002 02:27 PM

As Bob said Porshes and BMWs fit in idyllicly with the German countryside. Given your itinerary I would rent the car in Rome and do the Amalfi Coast for the best driving experience.

Rex Dec 15th, 2002 04:54 PM

If you don't find the luxury car you seek, you might check out a classic roadster from www.zephyrus.it<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Grandma Dec 16th, 2002 02:36 PM

We rented from Hertz in Venice in October. Unfortunately, they goofed up the reservation. BUT, they made amends by giving us a Jaguar 4 door sedan. My husband, the former Mercedes fan will never be the same. Don't know what it would cost. Whatever you decide DO drive the Amalfi drive. WE've done it several times (off season.)

Anon Dec 16th, 2002 02:49 PM

Wow.... 20-somethings taking a 5 week trip, and staying in 4-5 star hotels the entire time. The entire trip sounds like a splurge to me, before you even get to the part about the luxury car!<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip; you are indeed fortunate young people. I hope you appreciate the fact that many never get to do anything like this in their entire lifetime.

xxx Dec 16th, 2002 04:12 PM

And your point is?, anon?<BR><BR>There are millions of wealthy young people these days. Just cause you're not is no reason to grovel.<BR><BR>The Amalfi coast is the place for the porche (and please learn to spell it) before you go.

yackety Dec 16th, 2002 04:24 PM

Some are born rich, some have richness thrust upon them; the rest of us strain to get where we want.

Hans Dec 16th, 2002 04:25 PM

Can someone tell me what a *porche* is?<BR>xxx? Anyone?<BR>:0