Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   where ot spend the night before a very early flight from rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-ot-spend-the-night-before-a-very-early-flight-from-rome-682113/)

tdk320n Feb 22nd, 2007 12:08 PM

where ot spend the night before a very early flight from rome

we will be leaving tuscany on a saturday morning . our flight to the USA is early Sunday morning from Fiumicino airport in Rome. We do not want to spend the last night in the city of Rome. Our flight is early in the morning. We would prefer not to spend the night at the airport. Any solutions.

ira Feb 22nd, 2007 12:10 PM

Hi td,

Why not spend the night in Rome?

Your hotel can have a cab take you to the airport.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn EUR Parc Medici. They have a shuttle to FCO, but you will have to find out the schedule from them.

Very nice international style hotel. Very good breakfast. OK dinner.

((I))

tdk320n Feb 22nd, 2007 12:18 PM

ira we will be driving from tuscany and we do not want to drive into Rome. if we returned the car Saturday afternoon and then went to Rome for the night by cab it would be an extra expense and just inconvenent. we also are spending 4 days in Rome athe the beginning of the trip so we do not want to return for 1 night.

buongiorno Feb 22nd, 2007 12:31 PM

You can probably return your rent car at the HI Eur Parco dei Medici. We stayed there and paid a €10 fee and they took care of everything. The shuttle to the center of Rome and the one from the hotel to the airport worked out great. The hotel is just off the GRA.

rkkwan Feb 22nd, 2007 12:43 PM

Fiumicino is a real town on the Mediterranean coast. Check to see if there is any decent hotel there in town, or by the water; and not at the airport.

Or Ostia Lido a few miles south.

ira Feb 22nd, 2007 12:49 PM

Hi td,

2 suggestions:

1. Drop car at FCO, take HI shuttle to hotel. Take HI shuttle back.

2. Drop car in Orvieto, see town. Take train to Rome TE. Stay in Rome, take cab to airport - about 50E.

Having stayed at the HI EUR PM, our next time we will stay in Rome. Much more interesting.

((I))

cmeyer54 Feb 22nd, 2007 01:15 PM

how early is your flight? If its at 6 or 7am, stay at the airport (Hilton I think) and avoid the hassle. Most shuttles won't run at 4:30am and getting a cab will be very costly. If you take your time getting to the hotel and sightsee along the way, you'll end up just dropping your bags, grabbing a few hours sleep and leaving. I would not take the chance with getting transportation, possible traffic tie-ups, weather issues, etc. better safe than sorry even if its not the most authentic or romantic place to spend the last night!

tdk320n Feb 22nd, 2007 01:53 PM

hi our flight is 9:45 am . i know that is not that early, however if we have the car and have to drop it off at the airport before the flight, we would probably have to be at the airport at about 7 -7:30 am. i am opting for a town that might be at the most 1/2 hour drive to the airport at that time of morning. also we would like a town that has charm and a good restaurant. any other thoughts .

neglex Feb 22nd, 2007 04:23 PM

We are doing something similar-Staying in Tuscany, driving back to Rome leisurely and flying out at 10 the next morning. We are dropping the car off at FCO and staying at the Hilton Garden Inn. We chose to spend more on hotels the rest of the trip, and not so much the last night. This is a fairly new hotel and looks nice-don't know anything about it though.

williamscb13 Feb 22nd, 2007 05:18 PM

Fiumicino actually has some charm. But it is not Tuscany rather it is a seaside town. There's a Hilton there that is a typical Hilton, but if you cross the river, (you can't miss the river, it's right across from the Hilton if I remember correctly) you are in the town of Fumincino proper, keep driving around the main coast road and there are lots and lots of seafood restaurants.

If you are up for a bit of a walk, you can even walk to the restaurants from the Hilton. The Hilton is not at the airport proper, but actually in the town of Fiumicino.

My sister and I stayed at a tiny little hotel across the river in Fiumicino that was locally owned. I have no idea of the name of it, but we didn't feel like staying in a generic american place. I don't remember if we found it in a guide book or just wandered around looking for signs that said hotels.

Make sure you fill up your rental car on Saturday. Gas pumps are closed on Sunday. We had a hard time filling up our car and had spent our last Euros. We had a quick race to the airport to the cash machine to get enough money, shoved some money at a guy who was just at the station who helped us feed the machine. I have no idea if we paid too much or what.

Also, it doesn't take too much time to return a car at the airport, but be forewarned that you may be schlepping your bags quite aways, and then of couse there are the actual lines to check in which may be the worst part of it all.

Leilei Feb 22nd, 2007 05:38 PM

Hi,
We are flying out of FCO at 10a on a Sunday and have reservations at the Ostia Antica Park Hotel. I think our rates are about $100.We decided on that location because we will be returning from a week in Umbria and want to spend the last day exploring Ostia Antica.

nati12 Feb 26th, 2007 07:56 PM

i have done the same thing and agree that tuscany to rome early in the morning is stressful. the hilton at the airport is not only very nice, but so convenient.....you can drop your car a day early and walk right into the terminal from the hotel!

neglex Feb 27th, 2007 03:52 PM

Has anyone stayed at the "new" Hilton Garden Inn at the airport?

tcreath Feb 27th, 2007 03:56 PM

Another option, although about an hour away, is to stay in the town of Bracciano. Bracciano is a small town on a lake with an interesting castle in the center of town and some decent restaurants. We stopped there on the way to Umbria in March and were very pleased. Not sure what hotels are there but it may be worth checking into.

http://www.lakebracciano.com/lakebra.../paesi_en.html

Tracy