Germany/Central Europe Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I have posted a few times on here already, and I find this forum very helpful. Anyway, I am still seeking advice for my upcoming trip in September. I have managed to narrow down my itinerary and am seeking advice on whether it seems too rushed, or whether I should maybe eliminate some locations and add others. I am a 32 year old male from Texas, traveling solo. I have interests in photography, history, architecture, sports, and hiking. Here is my itinerary:

Sept 7: depart USA
Sept 8: fly into Munich, stay in Munich
Sept 9: stay in Munich
Sept 10: stay in Munich (hopefully go to an FC Bayern Munich match, if they are at home)
Sept 11: stay in Munich (make a day trip to either Dachau or King Ludwig's castles)
Sept 12: travel from Munich to Herrenchiemsee, stop to see the castle, then travel to Berchtesgaden, stay in Berchtesgaden
Sept 13: visit Konigsee and Obersee in Berchtesgaden, maybe do a day hike, then travel to Salzburg, stay in Salzburg
Sept 14: stay in Salzburg
Sept 15: travel to Vienna, stay in Vienna
Sept 16: stay in Vienna
Sept 17: stay in Vienna
Sept 18: travel to Bratislava, stay in Bratislava
Sept 19: stay in Bratislava
Sept 20: travel to Prague, stay in Prague
Sept 21: stay in Prague
Sept 22: stay in Prague
Sept 23: travel to Nuremberg, stay in Nuremberg
Sept 24: stay in Nuremberg
Sept 25: travel from Nuremberg to Wurzburg, visit the Residenz, then travel to Frankfurt, stay in Frankfurt
Sept 26: fly from Frankfurt back to USA

Please give me any advice you might think of. I don't know if this is too rushed, if maybe I should eliminate a few sites or consider making a side trip somewhere I haven't thought of. I will be traveling by train and bus. Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 06:55 PM

Why so many days in Munich? Do you have a special interest in it? Isn't that before the start of Oktoberfest?

Are you renting a car? Taking trains or buses?

I spent one night in Nuremberg. It was not my favorite town, but it was convenient to allow me to spend a few hours out at the Nazi rally grounds, etc. (An experience I found a tad disappointing, actually, and now wish I hadn't wasted my time.) The previous night I'd stayed in the very touristy Rothenburg ob der Tauber, which I liked a whole lot more than expected and was certainly one of the highlights of my trip to Germany. (I also visited in April when it wasn't so busy with tourism.)

Had you considered a detour out to the Austrian town of Hallstatt? I tried to make it there on one of my trips but did not - wished I had. Look at web images - it is incredibly picturesque even if small.

How about Cesky Krumlov near Prague? You could day trip but might enjoy a night there to get away from the huge tourist mobs of Prague (which I still loved).

Two nights in Bratislava? I have not visited, but I hear it is small and very touristy. Why do you want two nights there?
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Munich seems interesting because it has several old churches, the Schloss Nymphenburg, and the residenz palace. True, this will be before Oktoberfest, but I would rather avoid the massive crowds, plus I imagine it will be cheaper as well.

I had planned two days in Munich (because I'm not sure what time my flight will arrive the first day) and then one day to do a day trip to either Dachau or the Ludwig castles.

Cesky Krumlov does seem interesting, perhaps I will try to work that into my trip. Bratislava I was not sure how much time to give, one day didn't seem like quite enough...I was interested in taking a "communist tour" of the city, as well as seeing the two castles there.

Perhaps, I could leave Vienna, arrive in Bratislava, visit around a little bit, stay the night, then the next day visit a few more sites before departing for Prague?
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 07:22 PM

I would read some trip reports that describe Bratislava before committing to two nights there but only three for Prague, which is an absolute delight for a photographer. (If you can, get up early one morning in Prague and photograph the Charles Bridge at daybreak before it is mobbed with tourists by late morning.)

It would be possible (if you are using trains) to route from Vienna to Cesky Krumlov (I think there's a shuttle) and then take a bus on to Prague...or just day trip by bus between Prague and Cesky Krumlov.

I think four nights in Munich is OK as long as you have a good plan for what to see and do all of that time, but on first glance that seemed like a lot to me. I'm sure some people love the city, but I passed through for only a few hours and was not disappointed that I hadn't spent a night. The city didn't much appeal to me as a place to come back to at night. (On the other hand, I found the touristy Salzburg charming and picturesque.) That's why I wondered why you were spending four nights there - but maybe it makes sense for you.