Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where not to go... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-not-to-go-84893/)

sondraa Aug 30th, 2000 10:19 AM

Where not to go...

It seems to me that the best way to plan a trip to Europe is to read all the queries in this forum and never go to all those places that everyone else is going to.A long time ago it was possible to find uncrowded cities and couteous people, but then, it also used to be fun to fly. Today, the hassle starts at the airport, so, if you really want to see what the world used to be like, stay away from places like Rome, Venice, Lake Como, Positano, the Greek Isles etc. The world is still filled with small cities and beautiful scenery. Just don't buy all the travel hype!

Buyer Aug 30th, 2000 10:34 AM

So Sondraa your point in posting this was what exactly? To encourage people not to visit places they've been reading about and/or dreaming about for years? Worthy ambition, I wonder if it will work..Gosh I gotta get going, gotta run and cancel my trip to Rome I mean who needs the Cistine Chapel anyway? I am sure it could never measure up to the hype.....

elvira Aug 30th, 2000 11:22 AM

I believe Sondraa was the same person who made some rather insinuating comments about 'budget travellers' in another post. One can only assume that she's blaming Fodorites, and, therefore, budget travellers for making travel so unpleasant. Are you an agent provocateur? Or just an elitist? <BR> <BR>

Cindy Aug 30th, 2000 11:31 AM

Hold your fire, Fodorites! Sondraa may be onto something here. I'm going to Rome soon. If the rest of you folks will just stay away from Rome, my travel experience would be greatly enhanced. So for the next few weeks, just find something else to do, OK?

Gina Aug 30th, 2000 11:35 AM

Hey, Cindy, I think you're on to something. I promise to stay away from Rome (for the next two months at least). Now all the rest of you Fodorites need to stay away from the Cyclades until mid-September--because, unlike Sondraa (is that like SanDeE in LA Story?), I'm not a sophisticated traveler and have bought all the hype. Oh, and I travel on a budget, too, so I'm sure I'll be making life unpleasant for budget-free sophisticates like SonDrAa. <BR> <BR>Tongue firmly in cheek and packing to do, <BR> <BR>Gina

Thyra Aug 30th, 2000 11:37 AM

Woa now wait a minute Gina... I'll fight you for Greece.....I've already got my plane tickets.... Let me know when you will be there so that I can change my trip around and head out for Fresno.. not many other traveler's there in the fall.

Mine Aug 30th, 2000 11:41 AM

I've got dibs on Paris for October, so back off, losers! I'll be wearing a hot pink running suit, and if I see even one of you squatters, I'll pound you good!

Gina Aug 30th, 2000 12:22 PM

Uh-oh, Thyra, this could pose a problem. I've got Athens and the Cyclades for the first two weeks of September. You can have the Dodecanese and the Ionians. Or Fresno. (Hmph, and I was just saying that Fresno's getting all touristy and spoiled...)

Thyra Aug 30th, 2000 12:29 PM

Dodecanese Smodecanese!!! I want Santorini... Ok, Hows about if I take Santorini and you can have all the other Cyclades???? As far as Athens goes... You can have that too .. there may be other people there (possibly even Budget people!!!!)and the Acropolis, who needs it? Too much hype.

Al Aug 30th, 2000 02:24 PM

All this blather reminds me of a saying attributed to the one and only Yogi Berra: Nobody goes there anymore because it's so crowded.

Bob Brown Aug 30th, 2000 02:30 PM

Blather! Great word, Al. Very descriptive. Now for the flack from the blatherites.

Drone Aug 30th, 2000 02:36 PM

Point of order: arent all Fodorites really blatherites, when you get right down to it?

Rich Aug 30th, 2000 02:40 PM

i think sondraa must work for the United <BR>Airlines union. she's done a good job so far at squashing travel plans :-)

Judy Aug 30th, 2000 03:06 PM

Sandraa et.al. This is positively lighthearted compared to that bloody "TOPPER' thread,,,gosh guys, I feel like I have just been put thru the ringer,,,,I would rather brave the crowded tourist spots, than go at it with the "boys" on the the "TOPPER" thread,,,is it too much testosterone?...I really shouldn't "blather" on so, but the travel hype is not going to keep me from going to Rome in 2 weeks....I survived the Olympics----bring on the gladiators.....esp.Russel Crowe... <BR> <BR>

Judy Aug 30th, 2000 03:21 PM

OOPS, And Cindy, I better not see you in Rome, when I'm there....Russel is mine, allll mine!

Thyra Aug 30th, 2000 04:04 PM

Now just wait a minute... are we bidding on Russel Crowe now???? Put my name on the list... Oh yea there is my husband, but I suppose he could just go to Greece with Gina.....

Cindy Aug 30th, 2000 05:12 PM

See here, Judy. By my calculation, you are about 4 hours late to claim Rome. Sorry. Better luck next time. <BR> <BR>Tell you what I'm gonna do. I'll take Rome, and you can have all of the men's restrooms in the train station, but only at night. Do we have a deal?

Beth Anderson Aug 30th, 2000 05:22 PM

now hang on here, <BR> <BR>if we are talking Russell Crowe, back off. he's mine. <BR> <BR>where is he again? <BR> <BR>:-)

xxx Aug 30th, 2000 06:35 PM

Al and Bob, I just think you're just jealous of Russell.

ohmigod Aug 30th, 2000 07:53 PM

Did you notice that "Where not to go.." follows "Where is your magic place (spot)?" This is way too wierd. I'm tyring not to make associations, but there is something way too subversive going on here and I just can't ignore it anymore.