Reload this Page >

Where is this hotel in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Marty

Has anyone heard of the Grand Hotel Beverly Hills in Rome? We can upgrade our hotel at a pretty steep price but plan to spend most of our time sightseeing and would hate to spend the money if not necessary.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Rex

This is not a plug for (nor a slam against) the hotel, not the travel agency that sponsors the following website: <BR> <BR>http://www.gate1travel.com/Destinati...erly_Hills.htm <BR> <BR>which leads you to this map: <BR> <BR> <BR>http://www.gate1travel.com/Destinati...R_bevhills.gif <BR> <BR>It's a fine location, but in the eyes of many, it is not a <I>convenient</I> location - - for a sightseeing tourist visiting the city on foot. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>P.S. I never remember to try this use of italics thing - - I am curious to see if I did it right. <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Rex

Hmmm... I guess I did. <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:30 AM
carol

Necessity is in the eyes of the beholder, isn't it. If you don't mind taking a 20-minute bus ride into the center of town (where all the sightseeing is), then don't bother to upgrade. On the other hand, if you're in the center, you can walk pretty much everywhere, including to and from restaurants in the evening.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Marianna

Hi Marty, <BR>I live and work in Rome and thought I would help you out. The Grand Hotel Beverly Hills in on the Via Veneto (of La Dolce Vita fame). It is in one of the best areas of Rome but also one of the most expensive. <BR>Your other post suggested that it was not that convenient. I don't think it's too bad at all. It is close the Barberine Metro and Spagna Metro and walking distance to the famous Spanish Steps and the designer label shops in this area. <BR>You can also use the many buses in this area or a taxi which can be flagged in the street or organised by your hotel. If you are very energetic you can of course walk but sites such as the Colosseum and Forums are a pretty decent walk. <BR> <BR>Let me recommend a spot that many tourists don't necessarily know about right on the Via Veneto. At the bottom end of the street (near Barberini Metro) is a Church on the left side (if you are walking down the street) When you go up the stairs go to the right to the crypt of the Cappucchin Monks. It is totally amazing. The visit is free but they do expect you to make a donation. <BR> <BR>Marty, I hope this helps you out, if I can be of help in any other way please feel free to email me direct at the above address. <BR> <BR>Safe travels <BR>Marianna

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Want

Marianna, <BR> <BR>I tried to visit that church you mention but went at the wrong time and it was closed. I will be in Rome next spring and would like to try again. Do you know the hours it is open?

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:37 AM
Marianna

Hi Marty, <BR>Further to your request about your hotel. I apologise as it seems I have mixed up your hotel with the Grand Hotel Palace and not the Grand Hotel Beverly Hills. Unfortunately I do not have a listing for this hotel in my Hotel Reference Book. However if you would like to send me the exact address I can certainly find out it's exact location and convenience. <BR>Regards <BR>Marianna

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Marianna

Hi Helen, <BR> <BR>I believe the Crypt of the Monks that doesn't open until after 3pm and is not open on Thursdays, bear with me and I will check exactly for you and send another message. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR>Marianna <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Ed

We've always enjoyed staying on the via Veneto. And many others have as well, thus the reason for so many top notch hotels. Those who knock the area don't know the area. Good transport, good restaurants, many locations quite walkable ... arguably a bit expensive on the average, but not necessarily as a practical matter. <BR> <BR>The Beverly Hills is &gt;&gt;not&lt;&lt; on the via Veneto. Not even close, by my reckoning anyway. From the top of the via Veneto tt is on the other side of Hadrian's Wall, across the Villa Borghese (think Central Park), in the Parioli District. <BR> <BR>Parioli was a fashionable residential district (mainly so) at one time. Still quite decent, a bit more commercial and congested with several hotels, if somewhat faded over the years. While it looks close to the center of the city on many maps, it's really an inconvenient area. To get to most sights you'll either need to take a taxi, two buses, or a bus and the metro. <BR> <BR>There are certainly restaurants in the area, including the enjoyable Ambasciata Abruzzi on via Tacchini ... but I can't think of any other especially recommendable restaurants. For the most part you'll have the same need for a taxi, two buses, or the bus and a metro for dinner. Or stay in the area and eat at your hotel or in the neighborhood. Not the worst fate, but not our first choice in such a wonderful city for food. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Ed

Many churches in Rome, including Santa Maria della Concezione, the Caphuchin church, close for 'siesta', roughly between Noon and 2:30 or 3, including such important churches to a tourist as San Pietro in Vincoli, the site of Michaelangelo's magnificent Moses. A picture of one of the remarkable chapels at <BR>http://www.twenj.com/rometour4.htm#crypt

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Ed

Absolutely right on Aurelian, Helen. Sometime the fingers and brain don't connect. <BR> <BR>As to location, Helen, it seems to me the hotel is almost a kilometer outside the walls, and the closer part of a kilometer from the top of the via Veneto, to the northeast, well beyond the NE corner of the Villa Borghese. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>Ed <BR> <BR> <BR>Anyone who feels it is a convenient location is more than welcome to stay in that area, of course. <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Victoria

Marty, <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Grand Hotel Beverly Hills a couple of years ago and it beautiful, charming and all-around excellent. But it was expensive for us. We felt like we would spend less for accommodations next time since we actually spend so little time in the room. A centrally located hotel in a safe area, close to public transporation, and reasonably close to the attractions you want to see would be my recommendation. Have a wonderful trip!!!

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 04:54 PM
anon

ttt for ed